free website stats program trip out west | Harley Davidson Forums

trip out west

rperk60

I have the opportunity to ride out west with good friends (from illinois to nevada and back ) in late july.. i know it is going to be hot but will the heat totally make the ride unbearable. this will be my first opportunity to ride out west..would the heat deter anyone from making the trip. if you would take the trip how would u prepare the bike for the heat...
WAP.gif

If the bike is properly maintained and serviced, it should have no problems. You on the other hand...HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE! Every rest / gas stop make yourself drink a bottle of water. Sun screen and long sleeves are also a must. Enjoy the ride and if you are near check out Moab and The Arches NP.

BTW. If you are retired military or disabled you can get a lifetime national park pass at no cost. Thought I'd let you know.

I have the opportunity to ride out west with good friends (from illinois to nevada and back ) in late july.. i know it is going to be hot but will the heat totally make the ride unbearable. this will be my first opportunity to ride out west..would the heat deter anyone from making the trip. if you would take the trip how would u prepare the bike for the heat...
WAP.gif

It depends on where in Nv. north or south, rode from Lone Pine Ca.to Laughlin in Aug. it was 129 degrees, the ride was unbearable. Rode across US 50 to Reno it was 90.
Get yourself one of those hydration vest they work, drink lots of gator aide.

Your bike will be fine. As for the riders, as stated, lots of water. When we ride in very hot temperatures, we get on the road nice and early and enjoy the morning ride, and then get off the road by early or mid afternoon and then simply enjoy being where ever that is. Never plan our motel ahead because that puts restrictions on where we have to be.

It also depends on exactly when you're going. If it's late July or August...yeah, it'll be pretty warm. June...not too bad. The bike will be fine but I'd get myself a hydration vest. I've had one for years and they make all the difference on a hot ride.

I have used a Camelbak when riding distances. I will stop at McDonalds and they will fill it with ice for me. The Camelbak is like a backpak with a bladder and it has a hose with a nipple that you can sip from, shuts off when not used. You can use juices or water or ice.
Ken

I rode out west last year and on the way back it was 110 degrees all the way accross Kansas. I wear a full face helmet / jacket / gloves, etc. I wore one of the mesh style jackets, and everytime I stopped I completely soaked my shirt with water. It worked like an air conditioner once up to speed.

I am a big proponent of covering up when in the sun and heat. It seems counter-intuitive, but there's a reason desert dwelling people cover themselves in all the robes and headgear. I was dressed like the michelin man the whole trip and it was fine. My buddy wore a sleeveless shirt and sunglasses the whole way and you could've used his skin to make wallets by the time we got home.

Bring one of those plastic / metal plates to put under your kickstand, because if you park it on asphalt for any length of time, there is a chance it will be on its side when you come back - especially on the "chip / tar" type roads fairly common out west.

When driving through the mountains, when you see a semi
"Chain-up" area, get in the left lane. After the chains are installed, the semi's chew up the surface of the road when getting back on the highway.

Agreed, wear long sleeves and drink fluids. Water is good but Gatorade is better as it replaces some of the items your body sweats out.

As all the posts above have stated the bike will be fine,but pay attention to your body,a sure sign of dehydration is not sweating.If you quit sweating in the heat stop and find shade immediatly and try to slowly put about 20oz. of fluids back into yourself.(not beer):D

Not coffee either!

Back