free website stats program Trickle Charging | Harley Davidson Forums

Trickle Charging

heronboy

I have an 09 dyna wide glide and I would like to know how to hook up the trickle charger to the battery without having to remove the battery for the winter. I've been told I can do this but I dont know how. Can anybody help me?

With the Battery Tender JR pictured below, it comes with a Quick Disconnect adapter that you "hard wire" directly to your battery, then have a "pigtail" sticking out where you want it, but in a place that you can easily reach. I use one every day, just plug it in when I get home, unplug when I wanna ride. Go here for info Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Batterytender.com. I picked mine up at motorcycle superstore on sale for $20.00. Motorcycle Superstore - Search Results for battery tender it's no longer on sale thou...... They also sell just the Quick disconnect harness separate if that's what you want....I have also seen these at the local H-D Dealer, for 2-3 times $$.:newsmile093:
battery_tender_junior_12v.jpg

I hope someone will jump in and explain this one to me.
On my '09 FXDL right next to the ignition coil there is a 2 wire pigtail (Factory installed with a rubber cover) that looks like it would be for a battery Tender plug in. With the Key "off" this two wire plug has power going to it. Looks Exactly what you need for a Tender or an HD maintainer. Makes total sense.

But, I looked through the Owners manual, Electrical Diagnostic Manual, Service Manual and Electrical wall chart schematics and can NOT find what this plug does or what it was meant for. Since it is a Factory Pigtail, it has (or should be) listed in the wall chart wiring diagrams or schematics but I don't see it anywhere. I have found several "typos" in the schematics so now I don't know what to believe.

Unanswered loose ends like this drive me crazy because it makes me loose confidence in the manuals.
If anyone has an answer please let me know.

Wow, no kidding. So it is a pre-wire for a Tender or an HD version of Tender. That may mean the OP '09 Dyna Wide Glide is ready to go and he can plug right in assuming polarity and plug matches.

Thanks for the info Steve!

The pigtail is not a factory installed option. Thus, it will not show on any of the schematics.
Many dealers add this to their bikes before the sale, but, it is done strictly on a dealer to dealer basis.
Many do not choose to provide it.
The pigtail wires straight to the battery......red on + and black on -
Some of the pigtails are green and yellow, If I remember right....if so, the yellow is + and the green-
Hoop...trace your wires back and see where they go.

Last edited:
GS, It looks like it is not fused. I did not want to pull my Maxi fuse (siren II will blow) but it appears direct. Am I right on that?

My wife and i have 2 09 bikes both r ready to go with a tender/trickle charger,due to the pre installed plug-in adapter(rubber cover on)if you have that ur good to go..

It all depends on the brand installed. Some have a fuse inline(square rubber covered) on the + lead, and some do not.
All are wired directly to the battery terminals.

Oh Man I owe you Guys a Steak Dinner. I go back to my bike and check it out. Yes it WAS installed by the dealer. It does go directly back to the battery and it is fused.

Get This. The dealership tech that installed it failed to cut a relief in the battery caddy for the cable. Therefore the steel battery cover was cutting into the cable. It already had cut through the Negative part of the cable (I could see copper) and was working into the Positive. Unbelievable. Absolutely Unbelievable.

You Guys are Great. Thank you! You just saved me a shower of sparks.

Back