free website stats program Transmisson oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmisson oil change

BOWHIKER

I'm getting ready to change my fluids tomorrow and have a question conserning the tranny plug . I did a dry run to see if i needed anything special . I tried a 1/2" drive 5/8 socket and couldn't get it on the plug because the shocks are so close together , then tried a 3/8 drive 12 pt. And still no luck . I was able to get a 6 pt. 3/8 dr on the plug so i know i can break it loose with that and then use a 1/4 allen wrench to run it all the way out . Can i use the allen wrench to break it loose and then use it to put it back in and torque it down ? Also since my torque wrench is 1/2" drive will i get the correct tourque using a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter on a short extension ? It is real tight quarters between the shocks , at least on my soft tail . At first i thought i'd have to loosen the 2 bolts on the back of the shocks to even get a socket up there .

No reason why you can't get to the plug with a 3/8" setup and the proper socket. Done it many times. You can use the 1/2" torque wrench with a 3/8" adapter.

There's also no reason to make another post about "why" nobody has replied to this post submitted only a short time beforehand.

You should be able to use the Allen wrench to remove and re-torque the plug, it's only 21 ft/lbs I think. The adapter and extension won't affect the torque setting.

Back