free website stats program Transmission spontaneously engaging | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission spontaneously engaging

flipper

Account Removed
My husband has a '09 Ultra. It has 13,300+ miles on it and has never had a problem.... until today. First, it wouldn't start. When he hit the start button, it made a very, very subtle click. He rolled the bike forward, and that time, it started. So we go for a ride. About 14 or so miles into the ride, he gears down to neutral to change his sunglasses out. He heard a little "bump" a couple of times. He cut the bike off. When he got ready to go, it cranked back up just fine. The rest of the ride went without a hitch, until he got to our gate. He left the bike in neutral to open the gate, but he heard the "bumps" again, and it was louder this time. He said he feels like the bike might have been trying to engage into gear on it's own. Anyone have a clue what this might be? Luckily, it's still under warranty..... for a few more months. We just wanted to see if we can get an idea before taking it in. I'm posting this under transmission issues as well. Thanks y'all.

I don't think I'd care what it was at this point. I'd only care about how fast I could get it to the dealer. When the dealer tears it down he can tell you EXACTLY what he found and eliminate the guessing. There's nothing that irritates a dealer maintenance shop more than someone coming in with a maintenance complaint along with a list of suggestions as to what may be causing the problem gleened from neighbors, friends and websites. Some will go with the "customer is always right" approach and investigate everything you suggest...for whatever going labor rate they have and which investigation is NOT covered under warranty. Let the mechanic do the wrenchin'...that's why you paid for that warranty...(oh yeah, it came with the bike purchase so it was "free", right?)

Take advantage of the warranty and let the MOCO figure this one out, When you get it back let us know what it was may be some thing we need to be aware of for our tech info, Good Luck, Capital Jack

I had similar incident which ended up being a stuck starter button. The starter was running as long as the ignition switch was on. Dealership changed out the starter button and all is well...

Back