free website stats program Transmission slipping in 4th and 5th gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission slipping in 4th and 5th gear

I have a 1995 Dyna Wide Glide with 35,000 miles on it. I just changed the transmission fluid to Amsoil and now it is slipping. I rode it today for the first time since changing the fluid and it is slipping in 4th and 5th gear. It has never slipped before. Could I have under or overfilled the transmission and caused this. I also changed the primary chaincase fluid at the same time. I am able to do most repairs myself, so I could use some help as to what might be causing this problem. Thank you for your help.

The clutch will be slipping perhaps you have used an oil in the primary that has friction modifiers or is too thin to do the correct job
so a wee bit more info on oil in the primary may help

Brian

Not clear to me what you have used in your engine, primary and tranny. Here are some generic recommendations:

Generic fluid recommendations

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL snythetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, Redline Primary, etc.)

Measure how much comes out of the engine and tranny (separately of course!), and put that much back in as a starting point. Adjust when fluids are at operating temperature. Primary use the volume specified in your Operating Manual.

TQ

Thanks for your help. I used 20w50 Amsoil motorcycle oil for the oil change. I used Amsoil chaincase and gear oil in the primary. I think the problem is in the lubricant that I used in the primary. It is recommended for jet skis and ATVs. Can I use 20w50 in the primary?

No, I have not adjusted the clutch. After reviewing the other answers to my post, I think I used the wrong chaincase lubricant. I used Amsoil chaincase and gear lubricant with friction modifiers and I think that is why it is slipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put some good ol' HD Formula+ in the primary, and watch your issue clear right up. You really don't need anything more than a simple dino oil in the primary.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Yes, I used a lubricant with friction modifiers. I need to change lubricant. What do you suggest that I use in the primary?

Thanks for your help. I used 20w50 Amsoil motorcycle oil for the oil change. I used Amsoil chaincase and gear oil in the primary. I think the problem is in the lubricant that I used in the primary. It is recommended for jet skis and ATVs. Can I use 20w50 in the primary?

No, I have not adjusted the clutch. After reviewing the other answers to my post, I think I used the wrong chaincase lubricant. I used Amsoil chaincase and gear lubricant with friction modifiers and I think that is why it is slipping.

If the clutch hasn't been adjusted in 35k or even 15k. It wouldnt hurt. Only takes a few minutes. HD formula + in the primary works great.

Back