free website stats program Transmission Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Oil

scotracy

I have been reading alot of good info. on this website. What I am wondering is Glider promotes Spectro Heavy duty Platinum Tranny Fluid 75-140. I live ion Iowa, not sure if that is too heavy of an oil to run in cooler Iowa climate. I think I am sold on it, but want to make sure it is not too thick. Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks! :newsmile036:

I have been reading alot of good info. on this website. What I am wondering is Glider promotes Spectro Heavy duty Platinum Tranny Fluid 75-140. I live ion Iowa, not sure if that is too heavy of an oil to run in cooler Iowa climate. I think I am sold on it, but want to make sure it is not too thick. Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks! :newsmile036:

Not too thick for your climate at all. I run it year round and sometimes ride in -30* temps. I only recommend something I have used and know that it works well.

thanks for the info. For years I have used all Harley lubes, but this forum really has me thinking about what is the best to use. My Fat Bob only has 1900 miles on it, and figured it is a good time to switch. After all research and input, I am going to run Mobil 1 for oil, Spectro for tranny and Formula + in the primary.. Thanks Glider!

Glider, I bought a quart of amsoil svg 75w 140 for my bike, because I can't find spectro around here. So you say it is not to heavy for the climate I ride in 40 to 90 degree weather. I have read the 140 will cause drag and will ruin your stator, and decrease mpg is this correct?

i run a 75-140 non syth all year first shift or 2 is still at 30 degrees but after that no prob syth might be better for this riding but 75-140 is fine year round

Glider, I bought a quart of amsoil svg 75w 140 for my bike, because I can't find spectro around here. So you say it is not to heavy for the climate I ride in 40 to 90 degree weather. I have read the 140 will cause drag and will ruin your stator, and decrease mpg is this correct?

I would like to see some substantiation about ruining the stator.First time i have heard that. As far as the MPG, I doubt you would even be able to measure a difference.

I run the 75/140 Spectro year round.

I AM TALKING SYNTHETIC HERE..... SO

HOLD ON THERE,,,,, I thought the 75w140 was to be used in the transmission? not in the chain-case.
I see you are talking amsoil and not spectro BUT

to my knowledge 75w number is the pouring weight factor and WILL keep the weight of 75W getting HOT like a 140 weight oil?

so a 75w 90 isn't much different that a 75w 140 until it get HOT.... both pour at the 75w and only change when HEATED then only lighten or stay at the 75w until way too hot. 90 to 140 means you can get it HOTTER before you loose the 75w

I think I'm right!

some 5w 50's are extremely light pouring but equal to a 50 weight when HEATED UP.... in other words they stay at the 5W weight and will keep it at a 5w like a 50 weight oil will when HOT...

signed....BUBBIE

A friend of mine - cheapest guy I've ever known, asked if he could 'borrow' some transmission fluid because he was low. I gave him the remainder of the Spectro that I had, and now that's all he wants to run in his tranny. He'll probably still put garbage in his other two holes, but he's sold on their transmission fluid.

Back