free website stats program transmission lever (anyone in Colorado Springs have one) | Harley Davidson Forums

transmission lever (anyone in Colorado Springs have one)

wannaride

Just my luck. I had my machinist modify a shift lever so that I could take the lever off without taking the rear primary case off (kinda like the Better Lever), it backfired on me. Not enough room for the added bolt. Now it is Sunday & I need a lever & a snap ring to hold the washer that holds the seal in. I can buy it or replace it. Let me know.

Toby

What a day. Last Monday evening I ordered a lever off of E bay, less than 25.00 shipped. Got it on Thursday, did not expect it until Fri or Sat. So today I started to put it back together, If I had primary oil I would have put it in only to realize that I put the bushing for the shifter on the wrong side & the only way to remove it besides cutting it off was to remove the inner primary cover again, man did I feel stupid. Got that done & that part is done. Thought I might as well see what was going on with my turn signal, it works fine except when you put the brake on, the right turn light comes on (doesn't blink, just comes on & everyone tells me that my left doesn't work). I took apart the handle bar switches, stripped the sheathing off to see if there was a wire chaffed, no such luck but it seemed to work perfect with it all unwrapped. So I taped it all up nice & tight, put the switches back together & tried it & it was shorting out to the turn signal still, so why did it not do it with the wiring all bare & the switches out, who knows. So I thought I will just take the wire out of the connector for the front switch, seemed logical & since I use the rear as a main stopping & assist with the front, who cares if the brake lights don't work with the front brakes applied (aside from being @ a stop light). Tried & it seemed to work, oh wait I forgot to try the rear brakes, dang it the lights are coming on. The good news is I did find the short (under the seat close to the connection before it goes through the rear fender. Now I will go back in & reinstall the wire in the connector. On the up side, I bought some chrome switch caps so I did get those installed.

Toby

Sorry to hear about all your probs. I just bought one of those "Better Levers" after my original tranny lever got so loose that I was stuck in 5th gear. I was able to hobble home without shifting; had to abuse the clutch a little. Good luck.

Mine was getting there, I was starting to have problems going into second. Glad you made it home. Funds kept me from getting the Better Lever, although I did want to go that rout. But taking off the primary is not that bad & I got to see my front pulley as well. Next thing to start saving for is new primary chain tensioner, pulley's & a belt.

Mine was getting there, I was starting to have problems going into second. Glad you made it home. Funds kept me from getting the Better Lever, although I did want to go that rout. But taking off the primary is not that bad & I got to see my front pulley as well. Next thing to start saving for is new primary chain tensioner, pulley's & a belt.

This is good advice. For the cost of the Better Lever, you can pull the primary, replace the lever, and also come away with some other maintenance issues in doing so. It's really not that hard.

This is good advice. For the cost of the Better Lever, you can pull the primary, replace the lever, and also come away with some other maintenance issues in doing so. It's really not that hard.

There's a problem with just installing a new stock lever. The splined shaft on my shift mechanism was damaged. If I just used a stock lever I would have the same problem again in no time. The Better Lever design uses two bolts and tightly crimps the shaft, kinda like the cap on the bottom of a connecting rod.

Or replace the damaged shift shaft.

Well, you're right, but that's another step. Now, in addition to removing the primary chaincase you'd have to delve further into the area to remove that shift mechanism. Believe me, I looked at the options. Yes, the Better Lever isn't cheap ($189) but the stock lever is ~30 and the shift thingy is ~80, and I figured the stock parts would just fail again in 30,000 mi. I figured I'd just fix it for good.

Back