free website stats program Transmission leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission leak

Ozzydog

Hello all I have 2005 Ultra classic. It seems to have a slow trans leak coming from the plug sode of the trans. I replaced the plug and o ring. But it is still leaking. I am very low on cash rightnow and can not take it to a shop. Can anyone suggest a cure. Thank you

Did it tighten up properly? with a new plug and o ring it shouldn't leak. Are you confident it's coming from the plug?
Fluid leaks will take the path of least resistance and flow to the lowest point.
Wipe the whole bottom side down, take it for a ride and do a thorough inspection to determine the source.

Thoroughly clean the area. Use spay can of carb. cleaner (or similar stuff). Wipe area several times with rags, maybe even "dust" area with baby powder. Take a short ride, park on the side stand for a bit, then trace the wet spot uphill. Trans end cover bolts come loose (or break if holding exhaust) that could be a source.

Did it tighten up properly? with a new plug and o ring it shouldn't leak. Are you confident it's coming from the plug?
Fluid leaks will take the path of least resistance and flow to the lowest point.
Wipe the whole bottom side down, take it for a ride and do a thorough inspection to determine the source.
Hello Jeff thank you for your reply to my post. I have drained the trans twice since I noticed the leak. The last time I installed a new plug that came with a New O-ring and tape. I installed it and torqued the plug to spec. The leak does not seem to be coming from the plug, but some where around it. any other suggestions?

Thoroughly clean the area. Use spay can of carb. cleaner (or similar stuff). Wipe area several times with rags, maybe even "dust" area with baby powder. Take a short ride, park on the side stand for a bit, then trace the wet spot uphill. Trans end cover bolts come loose (or break if holding exhaust) that could be a source.
I will try this today Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Red Line shockproof in my tranny. The pink fluid color makes it easier to detect and determine where leaks are coming from.

I think the first thing is to make sure the source of the leak is the tranny or could it be coming from a different area such as engine or primary.

Back