free website stats program Transmission got easier to shift? | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission got easier to shift?

cowboywildbill

On our 04 FLHTP? I don't think it's my imagination but, I went for a ride the other day it was 20 couple degrees outside. I keep the bike in our garage, all the fluids are good and I warmed it up and rode easy. I noticed that on upshift or downshift there wasn't much resistance in the shifter. It shifted fine and I couldn't feel any vibrations or unusual noises. It just felt much easier too shift than normal? Usually things shift harder in the cold. I run 75-140 mobil syn in the trans and Amsoil in everything else.
I hope that doesn't mean anything is happening in the tranny?

I'm also running Mobile 75-140 (but not at 20 degrees), and notice the shifting is a little quieter and smoother when trans. is cold. The clunk comes back as everything comes up to temp.

Good, I thought I was nut's. It feels almost like the spring that holds the shift dogs has lost tension. Does that sound about like your noticeing?

I haven't noticed any "feel" difference in the shifter lever, it just seems to shift quieter and seems to slip into the gears. When cold, there's hardly any noise going into 3rd, when hot,, "CLUNK".

I think maybe all of the gears contract and make more clearence when it's really cold.
It reminds me of my 03 Springer with back cut gears, it shifted real smooth and easy.

Back