free website stats program Transmission fluid won't drain | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission fluid won't drain

zinger66

Any ideas on why transmission fluid will not drain? Already changed engine oil
And took the drain plug for the transmission off. Only a little bit of fluid came out, there shouldn't have been any reason for it to be low, no leaks, no previous issues. Added the 24oz.and the it was over filled. Took the plug out again but it still barely has anything draining. Any suggestions?

Just a thought, but have you removed the dipstick while attempting to drain it??? Maybe needs some air flow to let the fluid drain out. Either that or you've removed the wrong drain plug. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

+1 on glazier post. There is a vent tube on the trans and it may be obstructed.

Something is amiss here, either wrong drain plug or blocked by something. Since you put fluid in it, maybe try raising the rear wheel off the ground with the drain plug out, starting the bike and running thru the gears to get fluid moving. May break up an obstruction.

HD02FLHR017.gif

#20 is the drain plug, you are pulling the correct plug out?

I think that's very odd. IF you have fluid in the tranny and it wont drain out - only two things come to mind - 1)you did not remove the correct drain plug or 2)there is no fluid in the tranny.

I agree with others here - be sure to at least loosen the FILLER plug and make certain you have removed the right drain plug.

I have very thick trans fluid in my bikes (Redline Shockproof) and I always warm it up before draining - BUT - I still think it would drain out if I remove the drain plug.

Good Luck
Bill

I see 2 #20's. The one on the front of the oil pan is engine oil. The second one is on the bottom of the oil pan is transmition drain. Both are hex headed drain plugs.

I see 2 #20's. The one on the front of the oil pan is engine oil. The second one is on the bottom of the oil pan is transmition drain. Both are hex headed drain plugs.

Indeed I should have been more clear on that diagram thanks for pointing it out
Both of these bolts are 5/8 wrench size

Back