free website stats program Transmission Cover Cable Thread Stripped | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Cover Cable Thread Stripped

Bosbury1

Well I did it today... During the course of installing the engine transmission interface cover I stripped out the threads on the Transmission housing where the clutch cable goes. The threads on the cable look fine. Do I need to replace the entire housing? Also, i removed the clutch mechanism from the housing but the cable end will not fit through the transmission hole. How does it come out? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Bosbury1
2007 Softail Deluxe

If you talking about the end cover being stripped (the one that has the six 1/4" bolts going through it), you may be better replacing it so you don't have any leaks around the cable entrance. Once you unhook the cable from the ramp mechanism inside the cover, the cable unscrews and the end just comes out through the hole where the threads were.

This may sound crazy, but the small piece does not fit through the housing where the clutch threads are stripped. Does that little piece twist off?

Absolutely, its not a ball its more of like a 1/4 inch cylinder shaped nub and that piece does not go through the chrome housing. I don't know how they got it in there.

Well, unless I'm misunderstanding what you are asking here, it went in through that hole so it has to come out through that hole too :D

I see what happened the round threaded piece from the cable broke off into the chrome housing. So I need to remove the thread from the housing and the cable will come through. Thank you.

When you tighten the cable to the housing , I believe its 5 ft lb.

At least that what is recomended on my 95 flhtc

I see what happened the round threaded piece from the cable broke off into the chrome housing. So I need to remove the thread from the housing and the cable will come through. Thank you.

You should be good with just a new cable when you get the broken part out. Being it's broken off at the end, you can cut the cable ball off the end to remove the cable and then an easy out or even a screwdriver in the broken piece to remove it. They have an "O" ring to seal it up and the torque is very little too when reinstalling the new one.

Great... Just got the piece out of the housing the threads look good. Since the cable has been cut I will replace with a new stainless cable. Thanks for the direction.

Back