free website stats program Transmission and Primary continual problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission and Primary continual problems

Gpetty

I have a 2009 Harley ultra classic bought new in 09. I have had nothing but continual problems with the bearings in the transmission and the primary. They both have been opened up and supposedly repaired 6 times and each time the repair only lasts a short while. Just had it repaired rode it about 200 miles and now the noise is back again even worse than before. The extended warranty is well gone and they have repaired it a few times at no charge but now they tell me due to the age of the bike they will not cover this problem any further. I could understand it but this has been the same issue they cant seem to fix since the bike was new. Im at a loss as to what to do. Maybe I need an attorney

Welcome from So. Texas. Have you had the tranny out of the cases or bike. What bearings are they replacing? Sounds as though something is out of align or warp,etc. You may want a new mechanic/shop to work on it.
tourbox

I am with tourbox and his questions. What has been done to "repair" the problem? Are the same parts being replaced with each repair? It sounds to me like the real problem has not been solved. Describe the noise? Is the noise present all the time and by that I mean idling in neutral? with clutch engaged? disengaged? Need more information to assist but difficult without more information.

I have a 2009 Harley ultra classic bought new in 09. I have had nothing but continual problems with the bearings in the transmission and the primary. They both have been opened up and supposedly repaired 6 times and each time the repair only lasts a short while. Just had it repaired rode it about 200 miles and now the noise is back again even worse than before. The extended warranty is well gone and they have repaired it a few times at no charge but now they tell me due to the age of the bike they will not cover this problem any further. I could understand it but this has been the same issue they cant seem to fix since the bike was new. Im at a loss as to what to do. Maybe I need an attorney
I bought my 09 Street Glide 3 years ago. I had the same problem. Not any more! I rebuilt the transmission, and replaced defective automatic primary chain tensioner with a manual adjustment tensioner. No more issues at all. I also use 75/90 gear oil in the transmission and it shifts like butter. I am very pleased to say the least.

My 80 ci has a wobbly clutch hub or tyranny main shaft play between the internal hub and outside shaft undersize, the best way of explaining this .

Here is CrazieDave question to me in a PM. I suggested he post it for more visibility.

The whole clutch has wobble over splines , and causing a second problem with the starter jackshaft not lining up with the primary bushing on the outer primary cover , bad grooving in the steel bush, So from the wobble of clutch housing back N fourth, over .040 " mick'd the spline between inner spline on the hub and spline on the mainshaft .Do I get a new hub or new transmission mainshaft to alleviate the play or is this normal play on these parts I should ask ?

Need photos of the hub and main shaft splines, model year and if everything is stock or modified. Is this a recent development? A short video of the movement would also help.

Back