free website stats program trans/primary oil | Harley Davidson Forums

trans/primary oil

I just got a 1996 1200custom sporster and I need to know what oil I can use
what waight and what brand other then the one H D have,for the trans/primary. there is no H D dealer close by.

Get an oil that was that was specifically designed for the sportster transmission as the one oil does both the primary and the transmission and as such needs to be the right stuff

Brian

When HD sold the SportTrans oil, it was a 75-90 gear oil with the limitded slip additives in it, I think now they tell sporty riders to use the formula+.
You can run a quality 75-90 gear oil with limited slip differential additives, it'll say suitable for Limited Slip Differentials on the back of the bottle or suitable for wet clutches.

I just got a 1996 1200custom sporster and I need to know what oil I can use
what waight and what brand other then the one H D have,for the trans/primary. there is no H D dealer close by.

Your Sporty has two holes...the one for the tranny you posted also has the oil wetted clutch with primary chain, complicating what gear lube to use...so most go with Spectrol HD Primary Chaincase 85W Gear Oil...it is NOT 100% Synthetic or have friction modifiers which could cause premature clutch slip problems. :33:

The hole for the engine oil only is perfectly fine to use 100% Synthetic...where the friction modifiers lower operating engine temperatures and have no impurities making it more resistant to heat or breakdown...so many take advantage of this using Mobil I V-Twin HD 20W-50 for longer engine life and less wear. :s

Go to the engine oil and trans lube polls to see how others have "weighed in"...lots of opinions there to be sure! :bigsmiley24:

Back