free website stats program trans oil | Harley Davidson Forums

trans oil

RideTheLightning

Hey guys,

I just started slowly working through my 20,000 mile service (at 20,5xx miles lol) and my service manual references a "sport trans fluid." I don't have the part number on hand but it appears that this is nonexistent now. I ended up getting a different HD trans oil called "Formula +", was just making sure it would work in my sporty.

Here it is:

FORMULA+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant | Harley-Davidson USA

Oh also, would it be a good idea to get one of the primary oil funnels that HD sells?

Primary Oil Fill Funnel | Harley-Davidson USA

Take care guys. :)

sport trans fluid was good stuff seemed to stop getting it about 3 or 4 years ago since then i have used formula+ without any issues
however the sportster does not get the same use that it used to

Brian

The Formula+ is a good choice, & the funnel is a matter of opinion, I have a small necked long funnel that works fine.

Thanks you two.

All I have are normal funnels for cars, one will work on the oil tank, but seems too big for the trans (although I haven't seen it yet).

For feeding the oil into the sportster primary i cut a small plastic coke bottle in half length ways and stick the neck in the hole in the primary and slowly pour the oil down the half bottle
if i warm the oil up a wee bit using a hot air gun or take it into a warm room in the house for a 24 hrs before i change the oil it flows better
Wife gets a wee bit grumpy sometimes when there are bike parts warming in the house bike shed will be cold most of the time from now till April or may

Brian

I break apart the box the oil filter came in, cup it into the primary. Just dump the fluid on the card board and down in the primary. Its not as sexy as a special tool for the job but it works for me and I get a new one with every filter :D

Bodeen

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I found some trans sport fluid at a different dealer closer to my work. I also picked up a funnel.

:)

Back