free website stats program Trans Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans Oil

tbaker1212

I recently swapped out the oil in my tranny from Syn3 to Mobil 1 75W90 as recommended by so many folks I have found it beneficial to listen to on this site. Shifting is much smoother, though I am smelling the gear oil occasionally when stopped or when slowing to a stop but there are no visible leaks anywhere. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks.
Thom

Yes, had switched from SYN3 to Amsoil 75-110w Gear oil in tranny (08 Road King) and experienced gear oil smell every once in a while, no leaks...Bike shifted smoother, no 5th gear whine, and tranny ran cooler too...

I recently swapped out the oil in my tranny from Syn3 to Mobil 1 75W90 as recommended by so many folks I have found it beneficial to listen to on this site. Shifting is much smoother, though I am smelling the gear oil occasionally when stopped or when slowing to a stop but there are no visible leaks anywhere. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks.
Thom

On the HD trannys, the open venting is where you get the SMELL. It is not UN-common for the tranny to spew a little oil vapor out that tube....

I have always said that a HD tranny will OFTEN after filling ,,,,, SEEK its Own level...

My 2000 dyna would do so. When the tranny oil was changed the bike would Always Spit out a little at the tube vent UNtil it found IT"S level to run at.

Never a problem but IF over full by an Once, IT would find it's way out..

I replace my tranny lube using the SMELLY stuff called ""Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil"" and one drop spilled on the floor will smell the whole garage.

I just serviced my tranny and found NO metal on the magnetic plug...

Don't sell the Redline Short as it has QUIETED many a new bike down when Other gear-oils won't..

signed....BUBBIE

Back