free website stats program Tranny shift shaft | Harley Davidson Forums

Tranny shift shaft

Hey All,
New here and I first of all want to say thanks for all the info! Awesome site.
Now, been searching the past post but didn't find anything about my latest issue on my 2007 Electra Glide Classic.
The shift shaft on the tranny side "flops" around, for lack of a better word, causing excess slop in the shift linkage and shifter. I am certain it is the shaft itself and not the shift lever being loose.
I did have the lever fall off on a long interstate ride last year and was able to get it back on.
Question is, did a spacer or bushing possibly fall off as well or is something else wrong? Help Please and thank you!!

A little more info. Are you referring to the rod that runs from the front shift arm to the rear shift arm? Or are you talking about the shaft that goes through the front of the primary that connects the shifter to the front shift arm? Diss-assembly may be required to be sure of the source of the slop.

Bodeen,
Thanks for the reply.
I am refering to the splined shaft that comes out of the tranny that the rear shift linkage arm attaches to. Not the linkage itself. (If that makes sense)
The shaft is the one that is burried between the tranny and the inner primary. The one that is a real bear to get at.
I'm pretty sure the shaft itself is where the slop is comming from, but now you have me thinking if infact it is the linkage arm........

Bodeen,
Thanks for the reply.
I am refering to the splined shaft that comes out of the tranny that the rear shift linkage arm attaches to. Not the linkage itself. (If that makes sense)
The shaft is the one that is burried between the tranny and the inner primary. The one that is a real bear to get at.
I'm pretty sure the shaft itself is where the slop is comming from, but now you have me thinking if infact it is the linkage arm........

http://betterlever.com/ have a look here:s

Bodeen,
Thanks for the reply.

I had the same thing happen with mine and it seems to be a pertty common problem. The arm that slids on the shaft will lossen up after time, sometimes you can tighten it up and be fine but in my case it was wore out and had to be replaced. Thankfully my ESP covered the repair.

Its pretty much ponying up the $$$for the Better Lever if he still is supplying them or buying a stock one and pulling the primary to replace. That pinch bolt should be on everybody's regular list of things to tighten.

Check this out. rear shifter arm - Harley Davidson Community

I doubt that the slop is the result of a worn shift shaft. The shift shaft splines are harder than the lever splines. If the lever is not tight and has the least bit of rotational movement on the shift shaft, the lever splines will wear down very quick. I would bet that if the OP purchased a new OEM lever and installed it properly, torqued to spec, the problem would be solved.

If not and the shift shaft has in fact gone t!ts up; the counter shaft will have to be removed (as well as some other trans parts) to replace the shift shaft but I am betting that is not the problem.

I did have the lever fall off on a long interstate ride last year and was able to get it back on.
Question is, did a spacer or bushing possibly fall off as well or is something else wrong? Help Please and thank you!!

You did not lose a spacer or bushing. These things just have a bad habit of coming loose...

Usually there is not enough space between the inner primary cover and the end of the shift shaft to allow the lever to come off, this is what makes this job such a problem. In order to get the lever off, the entire primary drive must be removed.

You did not lose a spacer or bushing. These things just have a bad habit of coming loose...

Usually there is not enough space between the inner primary cover and the end of the shift shaft to allow the lever to come off, this is what makes this job such a problem. In order to get the lever off, the entire primary drive must be removed.

With a lot of time and patience you can use a cut off tool and die grinder to cut the old lever in half at the split, it should then fall off:D

Back