free website stats program tranny replacement or rebuild. | Harley Davidson Forums

tranny replacement or rebuild.

ORTIGO

1989 883 4 speed replacement or rebuild, Well been hearing all kinds of noise from the tranny in all but forth gear. (pretty loud). Pulled primary and found a piece of spring and some chunks. Been looking at two options. JP has a complete gear assembly which is about as good as stock, the only thing I would have to set is endplay during install. It costs about 1700. ouch. and still requires right side bearings and such. In your opinion do you think this would hold up to a nrhs 1250 kit with cams or should I rebuild mine stronger with andrews gear set and shafts. I think if I do the work I can have a stronger tranny for about the same money as preassembled, but do i need to go all that extra work. Manual is pretty indepth about gear spacing and setup so I think I can handle the work just unsure that I need to. Any opinions or anyone know where I can get a andrews type setup pre assembled. ORTIGO

Wow tough place to be in. Either way is a serious commitment. Other than trans how is the rest of the bike and future plans of ownership? For a challenge why not perform overhaul yourself and make trans stronger than ever.

Thanks for the replies guys. Actually Im leaning towards doing it myself and buying the andrews gear set and the best bearings I can find. Tried to deal with andrews direct they say they dont sell to public only wholesalers. 766.00 gears only at JP. No shafts bearings seals or gaskets. As far as the bike goes it was my fathers bike, willed to me and it stays in the stable for good. My worst fear is buying the assembled unit and still having that sportster whine do to cheap gears and bearings. By the way used to be timken bearings were the best for cars and such Whats the good bearings for bikes. Thanks for the response. ORTIGO

As others have already stated, Andrews is well known and respected. Timken bearings are much better design and would be a good choice as well. Do keep us up to date as you go through the rebuild.

Back