free website stats program Tranny Oil Level too High? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tranny Oil Level too High?

wokonapa

I just changed all three oils in my new '10 FLHTCU (1,000 mile service) and have a question about tranny oil level. I put in 32oz, just as the manual says, however after a quick test run and check of the oil level it showed a good 1/3" over the "Full" level.

I checked it unthreaded. I'm sure it was all drained, as I left it draining while taking a quick trip to the dealership for an oil filter wrench.

Should I drain some oil out?

Thanks. This is my first Harley and first post on the forum.

Welcome to the forum Wokonapa. If you are absolutely certain the correct method of checking the level was used, then I would say yes, remove the excess oil. An old turkey baster with some hose attached works great for this. If overfilled, you may have oil mist out of the vent tube as the oil heats up.:)

I was taught that if you follow the manual as written you will overfill, and the tranny is at the right level when there is a diagonal line of oil running from the F(ull) to the A(dd) marks on the dipstick. Also it should just rest on top of the threads nd not be screwed in when checking.

If your trans is over filled you will have fluid comming out of your trans breather tube at some point its located on the top of your trans buy the starter its that little black hose. recheck with proper proccedure from your manual.bike straight no lean, rest cap on top .

Procedures for checking the oil have changed over the past few years, mostly with the newer 96 engines and 6 speeds. ALWAYS check your manual for the proper procedure for your bike.

I would like to add that if when draining the oil you don't "rock" the bike back and forth slowly, there may be oil left in the pan. I found that if the bike is left on the jiffy stand all the oil doesn't drain out.

I just changed all three oils in my new '10 FLHTCU (1,000 mile service) and have a question about tranny oil level. I put in 32oz, just as the manual says, however after a quick test run and check of the oil level it showed a good 1/3" over the "Full" level.

I checked it unthreaded. I'm sure it was all drained, as I left it draining while taking a quick trip to the dealership for an oil filter wrench.

Should I drain some oil out?
Thanks. This is my first Harley and first post on the forum.

MY call is You didn't get All the oil out!!!

I see no language that says you Leveled the bike while draining or after to get ALL the oil out.. ... The amount Left in the tranny would be Just that amount you were over... I have seen it done before this way, then Over full is there..

If you leave the bike off level while draining, the 1/3 inch is that amount.

signed....BUBBIE

You might check the bottle.
For some crazy reason, some oils are in one-liter bottles which is more than the qt. bottles.
Catches you off-guard.

I think you're right. I did not level the bike and drain.

I turkey-bastered out about 2 1/2 oz and it is right at the "F" now.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back