free website stats program Tranny oil level on side stand or upright? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tranny oil level on side stand or upright?

fpd4308

This is a silly question but I cant seem to find the answer in my service manual. When checking the trans fluid level on my 96 softail ( 80" Evo) do I check it on the side stand or upright.

Thank you

Check your owners or service manual to be sure, but most are tested with the bike level, at least the first time. You will need to pull the derby cover (may need new gasket as well) and measure amount needed to level just touching bottom of clutch basket...usually likely 32 oz or so.

Opps sorry, here is the Self Help Tip for Primary/Chaincase which is shown here:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/transmiss...ive_train/6766-filling_primary_trans_oil.html

On you softail there is a dip stick/plug again check with bike is level (you can level bike with blocks. If recessed head 3/8" bolt hex headed w/ locknnut is fashioned as a removal tool, a simple socket wrench can be used to remove and check level.

Last edited:
Upright at operating temp. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off and insert back in until it touches the threads. Oil should be between the two marks. At least that's what the manual says on my 92 FXR.
If you have to add any oil, just a little dab at a time, it will overfill rather quickly.

Back