free website stats program Tranny Oil Check - Hot or Cold - '08 Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Tranny Oil Check - Hot or Cold - '08 Ultra Classic

trvlr

I've tried searching/looking on this question..but I can't find the answer. So taking the easy way out.

'08 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and trying to determine if you check the tranny fluid after the bike is up to operating temperature, or you do it cold. Just got this bike and all I have currently is the owners manual. It does not state one way or the other tranny oil temp requirement when checking...much obliged for any assistance -

I've always thought it should be checked hot. That way you are checking the level that it is running at if any thermal expansion takes place and when it is fully circulated. Just don't burn yourself on the pipe. But hey, as long as you are checking it is what really matters.

My 08 service manual does not state if the bike should be hot or cold so I don't think it matters .
To check transmission lubricant level you have to have the bike on the Jiffy Stand & you DO NOT screw the dipstick in when checking the trans lubricant level , the dipstick should rest on the edge of the filler opening and the fluid should be between the full & low marks on the dipstick . Check the o-ring and replace it if it shows signs of wear and tighten the dipstick to 25-75 in-lbs.
I check mine cold & I have the HD dipstick that does not need a allen wrench & that makes it easy to check the trans level . If your bike does not leak oil you will not loose any trans or primary fluids but the bike will use some engine oil so you should check that often .

When cold the level should be 1/2 way on the dipstick. When transmission is hot it will be at the full mark. Do not overfill!

Back