free website stats program Tranny migration | Harley Davidson Forums

Tranny migration

jamesearl

2019 FLTRU got the 1st service at 1k,was reading here about another who's had the problem,so now at 3200 mi.I go check the tranny.Nothing showing on dipstick.I do have an excellent dealer though.Woodstock H.D.The writer say's bring it in.After 2 hour's I've now got the venting kit on.I've seen where this may not be the fix,but they're doing they're best,and treating me well.I usually don't keep a bike more than a couple/few years hopefully they'll have this ironed out by then.

Mine came with the vent.Nothing on the stick at 2900 miles.Put 5 1/2 ounces in and informed My service dept.Now 4500 miles and it is still at full mark.But leaks antifreeze about every other day.Coming out of the over flow. Water pump and thermostat are one unit in the 19's.Pretty sure I need one. Went to Tomahawk fall ride and down a quart of oil. Never had a bike, before that used oil.2 Sportsters,one Road King and four Limiteds. Nor have I had a bike with so many problems in the first 4500 miles.

Mine came with the vent.Nothing on the stick at 2900 miles.Put 5 1/2 ounces in and informed My service dept.Now 4500 miles and it is still at full mark.But leaks antifreeze about every other day.Coming out of the over flow. Water pump and thermostat are one unit in the 19's.Pretty sure I need one. Went to Tomahawk fall ride and down a quart of oil. Never had a bike, before that used oil.2 Sportsters,one Road King and four Limiteds. Nor have I had a bike with so many problems in the first 4500 miles.
Man,that's enough to swear off Harley.I've only looked at my reservoir twice,but nothing on the floor.I'll have to start checking the oil with every gas fill,like they suggest.

Craftsmanship and quality are a thing of the past with Harley, it's all about the money.
Harley blames low sales on the older generation not buying so they are trying to appeal to the younger generation.
They need to rethink their strategy and concentrate on a better product. JMHO.

The introduction of the M8 is not different from the introduction of the TC in '99. When the M8 was introduced, all the "beta" testers got in line in spite of the MoCo's history with the introduction of the TC. Rear cam bearing failures were common, the MM EFI system was crap and replaced with a Delphi system three years later, it took 7 years for the MoCo to address the unreliable cam chain tensioner issue, 9 years to upgrade the frame and front brakes and the list goes on. I liken the trans fluid migration issue to the TC chain tensioner issue. The fix for the chain tensioner issue was an aftemarket fix, gear driven cams. I imagine the aftermarket will develop a fix for the trans fluid migration as well since the primary vent is not a fix; just a band aid that mitigates but is not solving the problem. I am amazed that people are still buying the M8 models knowing that the trans fluid migration is still an issue. The only way the MoCo will seriously address solving the problem is for people to stop buying the M8. This issue may become a full recall; just waiting for someone to run the tranny dry, lock it up, crash and sue.

As for the older generation not buying, that is definitely hurting sales; many are no buying the M8 because they know the MoCo history and will stick with the TC which the MoCo finally got right; just took them 10 years to do it. But some are not buying because they are not riding as much as the used to.

As for appealing to the younger generation, the MoCo has recently introduced the "balance bike". A friend recently visited a dealership and there were 50 kids lined up to check them out. Check out the attached video. When these kids are old enough for their first motorcycle, what to you think they will buy? Long term strategic planning by the MoCo; they are no slouch when it comes to selling/promoting the brand.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/...-balance-bikes.html?source_cd=Vanity_electric

Glad to hear it's holding for the last 1500 anyway.My oil was about a half qt. low,threw that in today.Thank goodness no coolant issues.

http://rockerlockers.com/wordpress/?page_id=215

The introduction of the M8 is not different from the introduction of the TC in '99. When the M8 was introduced, all the "beta" testers got in line in spite of the MoCo's history with the introduction of the TC. Rear cam bearing failures were common, the MM EFI system was crap and replaced with a Delphi system three years later, it took 7 years for the MoCo to address the unreliable cam chain tensioner issue, 9 years to upgrade the frame and front brakes and the list goes on. I liken the trans fluid migration issue to the TC chain tensioner issue. The fix for the chain tensioner issue was an aftemarket fix, gear driven cams. I imagine the aftermarket will develop a fix for the trans fluid migration as well since the primary vent is not a fix; just a band aid that mitigates but is not solving the problem. I am amazed that people are still buying the M8 models knowing that the trans fluid migration is still an issue. The only way the MoCo will seriously address solving the problem is for people to stop buying the M8. This issue may become a full recall; just waiting for someone to run the tranny dry, lock it up, crash and sue.

As for the older generation not buying, that is definitely hurting sales; many are no buying the M8 because they know the MoCo history and will stick with the TC which the MoCo finally got right; just took them 10 years to do it. But some are not buying because they are not riding as much as the used to.

As for appealing to the younger generation, the MoCo has recently introduced the "balance bike". A friend recently visited a dealership and there were 50 kids lined up to check them out. Check out the attached video. When these kids are old enough for their first motorcycle, what to you think they will buy? Long term strategic planning by the MoCo; they are no slouch when it comes to selling/promoting the brand.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/...-balance-bikes.html?source_cd=Vanity_electric

Steve,
I had read your the information in your link but was not sure if it was ready for prime time yet. Have you had any testers sign up yet? Any results? Not familiar with the M8 but based on my TC experience, I don't see a major down side to the fact that the pushrod can only be removed from the trans side. Never had any reason to pull that push rod from the clutch side on a TC.;)

Steve,
I had read your the information in your link but was not sure if it was ready for prime time yet. Have you had any testers sign up yet? Any results? Not familiar with the M8 but based on my TC experience, I don't see a major down side to the fact that the pushrod can only be removed from the trans side. Never had any reason to pull that push rod from the clutch side on a TC.;)
Don I probably have 30 to 40 kits out being tested now. In all honesty I really haven't been pushing the centrifical oil seal especially since Harley came out with the vent kit that looks to be very efficient. Results on the seal have been very slow coming in simply because the testing period is so long, at least 3,000 to 5000 miles. So far the results have been 100% curing the problem however this only represents 10% of the kits out there. Everyone says they will report back, very few follow through. I posted the link to show how easy it would be for Harley to fix this problem by simply putting a step inside the tunnel by counterboring it. You are absolutely right that Harley looks to the aftermarket to find solutions to a lot of their problems. The kits are a headache to make especially the installation tool that has to be machined, if they sell that's fine if they don't that's fine also. The target market would be bikes out of warranty who are tired of giving Harley money to fix Harleys problem. To me this has been more of an exercise in problem solving than actually coming up with a new product to sell.

Back