free website stats program Tranny leak from side door | Harley Davidson Forums

Tranny leak from side door

Dswartz

I have a leak from the side door of the tranny on my 2002 Superglide. The problem began with a broken exhaust bracket. I have Vance and Hines exhaust and the bracket mounts with the bottom two bolts for the tranny side door. Somehow my bracket broke so I called V&H for a replacement. While waiting for the part I had those two bolts removed and didn't think anything about them. About a week later I went out to the garage and noticed tranny fluid all over under the bike. I realized it was coming from the tranny side door and since I had those bolts removed it allowed enough room for the fluid to begin seeping out. My question is would it be ok to simply tighten my bolts back down and hope everything holds or do I need to replace the gasket?

If I end up replacing the gasket I have a few more questions. Part of taking the side door off involves removing the main shaft and counter shaft nuts. To do this the manual says to lock the trans by engaging two gears at once. How do I do that? Do I have to remove the top cover and the shifter cam to slide the gears? Is there a way that I can simply move the shifter to lock the tranny without removing the top cover?

Do the easy thing first. When you get the new bracket, tighten everything up, clean up and ride for a while. Chances are it won't leak. If it does, then worry about what steps to take.

I dont know if things have changed since the evo engined bikes but on my bikes the transmission side cover can just be removed after first removing the dipstick and loosening the clutch cable tension

Brian

I dont know if things have changed since the evo engined bikes but on my bikes the transmission side cover can just be removed after first removing the dipstick and loosening the clutch cable tension

Brian

It's not the chrome side cover that the clutch cable goes into. It's the side door that the side cover is mounted to. The nuts I am talking about removing are on the mainshaft and countershaft underneath the side cover.

It's not the chrome side cover that the clutch cable goes into. It's the side door that the side cover is mounted to. The nuts I am talking about removing are on the mainshaft and countershaft underneath the side cover.

I agree with what Breeze3at suggested above. I had a similar leak from my trap door because two of the lower bolt were only finger tight!. I took the exhaust loose so I could get to everything, torqued all the bolts to spec and cleaned it well using plenty of degreaser. Has not leaked since!! Cross your fingers and try that first. Way easier, and less chance of some other problem developing!

TQ

I too would opt for re torquing all the bolts and keep an eye on it after a good long ride:s

Back