free website stats program Tranny Fluid??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tranny Fluid???

89 FXRS

I've got a 1989 FXRS - the factory manual says the transmission should take 1 pint but yet when I drained it it took more than a pint just to get it to
show on the dipstick, so I'm not sure what to go by - the pint or the dipstick? It would take at least a couple more oz.'s to show full on the dipstick.

I've got a 1989 FXRS - the factory manual says the transmission should take 1 pint but yet when I drained it it took more than a pint just to get it to
show on the dipstick, so I'm not sure what to go by - the pint or the dipstick? It would take at least a couple more oz.'s to show full on the dipstick.

1 pint is correct, do you have the correct dipstick, if you over fill it it will push fluid out the vent hose

Just the way I would do things from past experiences;
If the dip-stick is the correct one.

I would add the oil to the full mark on the dip-stick..

I have found Trannys IF over-full by a little,like you say it will take a few more OZs,,,, It will vent out the air tube over flow..

I have done this on an early 97 evo and also on a 2000 FXDS..

Both FOUND their OWN level after they had been slightly Over Filled.. took a ride out and didn't notice MUCH but it showed on the stick that it went out.

I don't feel a little over is enough to worry about, especially as the Breather tube will allow removal of it..

signed....BUBBIE

1 pint is correct, do you have the correct dipstick, if you over fill it it will push fluid out the vent hose

Ya the dipstick is the one that came with the bike when it was new - I read that if you overfill it will also make the shifting not as smooth, is there any truth to this? And so if I drain it completely and put 1 pint in I should be safe shouldn't I?

Ya the dipstick is the one that came with the bike when it was new - I read that if you overfill it will also make the shifting not as smooth, is there any truth to this? And so if I drain it completely and put 1 pint in I should be safe shouldn't I?

I would run it and see Let it find its own level, IT should Not hurt a thing.

"I" don't believe that if a LITTLE over in the tranny,,, it would shift harder but IF IN the Clutch and Primary IT WOULD as primary has no way to UN-overfill its self.

Not right but I do remember when Dynas called out for 26/28 oz of oil in primary and a lot of dealers and Mechanics poured in a full quart..(not in my bike)

signed....BUBBIE

why do't you fill it using the dipstick as your guide,
and if it is the right dipstick, your good,
if not it will go out the vent.

Some times the Tranny Case will be Larger in size than the Speck.. Just the way of Manufacturing of a Cast Part... Not right but it does happen.. MORE oil would be needed to be Up to the right level... And,
I still would agree and go by the dip-stick. :D But it IS your bike.. You decide.

signed....BUBBIE

As long as you are using a good MADE for gears oil 1 pint and you should be good to go and Bubbie has good reading on this in this same thread:s

Just checked my Owners Manual for qick reference.
It say "approx" 1pint., If you have the original dipstick
use that as your guide, an get on the road

You're filling it with cold fluid. Add 1 pint and rider her a bit to warm the fluid up and recheck. Ought to be just about right when hot.

Back