free website stats program Traded 2014 Road King for 2014 Softail Slim | Harley Davidson Forums

Traded 2014 Road King for 2014 Softail Slim

Forgiven

I have not been here for a few weeks. I am a new rider and started with a new 2014 Road King, a month ago. Three days after taking delivery, the throttle got away from me in a right turn, while starting from a stop light. My own fault, but fortunately my injuries were limited to relatively minor ankle and leg injuries, and I am 99% healed now - thank God. It was obviously too uch fr me to start on, I traded the Road King in for a Softail Slim last Wednesday night and am going to work a little more slowly in the neighborhood to regain my nerve and gain some much needed coordination. I was reminded that although I like to think I am still 30, I really am 55 and learning a brand new physical skill. It could have been worse, but I'll be safely on the road soon enough. The Softail Slim was delivered this afternoon, and it is much easier for me to handle. I took a short ride in the neighbor and plan to do so again in the morning. I'll be on the road again soon, after building more skills and confidence. :D

I don't understand how the accident happened.Good your trying again.I'm also confused on the bikes.My RK out handles,out turns my old softy by far.Whenever I get in a hairy situation,it's like my old dirt bike instincts seem to kick in.Maybe you should try something way smaller to start out in.

You really should take a riders course. The skills you will gain will make you a safe competent rider.

I don't understand how the accident happened.Good your trying again.I'm also confused on the bikes.My RK out handles,out turns my old softy by far.Whenever I get in a hairy situation,it's like my old dirt bike instincts seem to kick in.Maybe you should try something way smaller to start out in.

My Road King handles like a dump truck compared to my 98 Heritage and my 09 Super Glide IMHO

Thanks to everyone for your kind advice and support. In my practice rides, I am endeavoring to practice what I learned in my safety course. The low CG of the my new softail slim is making it so much easier for me to handle. Perhaps I have another Road King one day, but at least for the present, the slim seems to fit me well.

Well, glad you've started with the riders course and continue to practice, practice, practice, and welcome to the forum from the southwest desert.

Thanks to everyone for your kind advice and support. In my practice rides, I am endeavoring to practice what I learned in my safety course. The low CG of the my new softail slim is making it so much easier for me to handle. Perhaps I have another Road King one day, but at least for the present, the slim seems to fit me well.

Glad you are healing up. That's the thing I like about my softail is the lower center of gravity and I really seems to sit in instead of on. Sounds like you have a plan for getting comfortable again with riding...good luck!

Nothing wrong with restarting on another bike that makes you feel more comfortable. Before you bought the RK did you have a chance to test ride other bikes? Sometimes dealers are apprehensive to let new course riders take out the bikes.

What kind of bike did the course supply?

Back