free website stats program TQ's Engine Build | Harley Davidson Forums

TQ's Engine Build

TQuentin1

Staff member
Thanx Glider. Got a tremendous amount of help from all the info here on the forum. It is a wealth of very valuable instructions and tips.

Special thanx to Kemo who turned me on to the kit I used. I will put together a spreadsheet of all the venders, parts numbers and prices for anyone thinking of this project.

TQ

I will put together a spreadsheet of all the venders, parts numbers and prices for anyone thinking of this project.

Instead of a spreadsheet, I put together another photobucket.com album with a picture of the stuff and then the details below. The link below is to the slide show. I suggest pausing the show and then clicking through the photos. If you "mouse over" the text, a text bubble will pop out with the whole text that may not appear with the photo. For those thinking about this project, this may be a shortcut to getting the stuff you need. However, it never hurts to do your own research! Might find a better deal.

TQ's Roller Chain Conversion Project on Photobucket

Just the pix! Lets you read all my comments on the pix which you can't on the slideshow.

BTW - The Herko Products kit is excellent. Everything is labeled so as to make it idiot proof (after all, I was able to use it!!). The kit includes NEW FASTENERS for everything. Great. Below is the laundry list of what you get in the kit, and another list of the options available from Herko.

TQ

Attachments

• Herko Pro Kit 1 Parts List.pdf
    43.3 KB · Views: 693
  • Herko Options.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Thanks TQ,now I know I can handle that job myself.

My only worry was the inner cam shaft bearings, so I bit the bullet and bought the puller and installer (these are George's Garage tools that I used) with the Pro-1 Kit. Also sprocket locking tool. This stuff, PLUS the factory service manual, did make the job a piece of cake.

BTW, if you are gonna cut the pushrods and replace with adjustable (I would suggest this unless you are doing something to the heads/rockers), make sure you know the threads per inch. Hopefully you will get instructions with your pushrods, your lifters, or at least can find them online from the manufacturer.

Let us know how it goes!

TQ

TQ. Thanks for taking the time to document. I'm in the middle of my conversion, waiting on some parts. Your step by step will help me complete this task. Thanks to you and the forum.....

TQ. Thanks for taking the time to document. I'm in the middle of my conversion, waiting on some parts. Your step by step will help me complete this task. Thanks to you and the forum.....

It's a pleasure ...

TQ

TQ glad that you appricated Herko's effort to put together the perfect kit. I think that you will be more than pleased with the results and the satisfaction of knowing that you did it and the reliabilty of the roller chain hydralic tensioner conversion.

Kemo

Yep. Did you see the condition of the spring tensioners that came off? Whew. Just in time!!

That kit was great, so thanx for passing that on. Love the way everything was labeled, especially the individual bags of fasteners, so I knew exactly which was which without having to compare with what I took out. And those tools were great. Course, now what am I gonna do with 'em? Oh well. Chuck 'em in the box with the other "used once" stuff!!

BTW, I can't remember what you did for a fuel manager. If you are thinking about it, that TFI was simple too.

TQ

My bike is a carb model so I had no issues with remapping. I had previously installed an Arlen Ness Big Sucker and rejetted the carb but after I changed my mufflers out that is when everything started to work.

Any possibility you can do a similar conversion using my cams? Spent too much money on dyno work and enjoy the way the bike runs right now.

Any possibility you can do a similar conversion using my cams? Spent too much money on dyno work and enjoy the way the bike runs right now.

Your bike is an '07 according to your AVATAR. Is that the bike you are referring too? If so, that engine will already have the roller chain configuration. You have the configuration I upgraded too.

TQ

Back