free website stats program Towing A Motorcycle With A Car | Harley Davidson Forums

Towing A Motorcycle With A Car

jbabk

Contributor
At the end of this month I am going to Bradenton Florida for a month. I am going to tow my bike with my 2008 Chevrolet Impala SS. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this model tow vehicle. The manufacturer only recommends a 1000 lb capacity. I have a choice between an open flat bed trailer, weighing about 500 lbs. or my 6x12 enclosed trailer weighing about 900 lbs. I am towing my 2005 Dyna Wide Glide weighing about 650 lbs. I would be interested in any comments. I will be leaving from Old Forge, PA., about 1100 miles.

Joe B :dknow:42:

What size engine in the car?
Frame mount hitch or bumper mount?
Will you be going through any mountains?
Does you car have an oil cooler?
Is car front wheel drive?
How much extra weight will be in the car not counting the weight of bike and trailer.
There are a lot of variables to consider

Actually, David, I was joking. Your questions are valid and I'd be most concerned about the transmission, so weight is definitely a factor.

Joe,
First things I would recommend IMHO.
As others have stated,
Make sure your hitch in "Frame" mounted and not to the bumber and ligth kit installed. When you have the trailer loaded with the bike and on the hitch of the car, make sure the trailer and car are "Level' from front to rear and your head lights are not "coon hunting" in the trees.:D Adjust the load on the trailer to level out id needed to achive a more balanced/level load.
Inspect tire pressure on ALL tires. Inspect all fluids under the hood and adjust/top off or change if needed. I would not overload the trunck if possible.
When approching steep grades, you may need or should take the trans out of overdrive as this could over heat the trans fluid and engine. When cruzin on flat roads Overdrive will be fine.
You have a trans-verse V6 under the hood if I am correct and it will handle it just fine.
Watch your gauges, keep your distance from others around you and don't try to set any new land speed records on the way down.
Enjoy and be safe.:bigsmiley12:

Twisted Grip - Thanks for the comment. Actually there is a 310 H.P. V8 engine in the car.

The SS will have no problem towing either trailer. It already has an oil, trans, and power steering cooler from the factory.....(I was a mechanic for 12 years.) Good luck on your trip...Be safe.

Back