free website stats program Touring seat suggestions for '03 RG? | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring seat suggestions for '03 RG?

My wife and I have been averaging 200-300 miles at a time on my new to me '03 RG. The only complaint that I have so far is that I start getting "hot spots" and some cramps in my rear end after about 90 miles or so. Given that, I am looking for suggestions for a replacement for the stock seat.

FWIW, I am 5'10", with a 30" inseam and I weigh around 175#. My wife is 5'3" and weighs, well, is that important? :5: 95% of my riding is two up. I don't want anything that's going to put me any higher, or push me any further back. I could go forward by an inch and be OK, but I like the position of the stock seat pretty well.

I am considering the following:

Sundowner. I hear good and bad about this one. On the plus side it's inexpensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Saddlemen Road Sofa. Kind of pricey, but you can get it with a back rest. Looks comfy!

Mustang one piece Ultra Touring (#75449). I had a Mustang wide vintage super touring seat on my Sportster. It was very comfortable, but it pushed me up and back about 1.5"-2" so I was on my toes at a stop. Does anyone know if the Mustang touring seat for the RG does the same?

Last, but certainly not least; I am leaning toward sending my stock seat to Mean City Cycles for the foam and gel upgrade (Comfort Rider for rider and passenger). Total cost for the upgrade is $360, putting it in the mid range of all my choices.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried one or more than one of my choices? Any input is appreciated!

Would it have to come from the same year EG ('03), or are they pretty much unchanged over the past few years? I should search Ebay for one...

Mean City Cycles does a great job and with their new scheduling platform you have a pretty quick turnaround. Had a coupla seats done by them and I have always been satisfied.

I put on the HD pillow seat on my 03 RKC, very comfy. like sitting in a lounge chair and to be honest I wish I did the same set up with my 09 RKC.

Ok.. to start with ..Road Glides and the Electra Glides,ultras ect the seats will interchange from 1997-2007..The Ultra Classic seat is the same as the Comfortstitch seat from harley..I have one on my '07 Road Glide..nice seat,about the same seating position for you,the wife will be higher..and like it..better viewing.
Last fall I bought a Saddleman Road Sofa for my bike..biggest waste/loss of money to date on the bike..it was like sitting on a rock!!They say it needs broken in..about 1000 miles, I gave it 1500 miles..still the worst seat I have ever tried on any bike..sold it on ebay at about a $300 loss..do yourself a favor and don't go there
Mustang has a program where you can buy a seat direct from the factory,try it for 10 days and if you dont like it you can return it for a refund..after my fiasco with the Roadsofa I am going to try it,I have a week ride coming up in June so I will test one out.
Dennis Kirk has the same mustang seat for about $100 cheaper..no test ride..
So..In my eyes, the Comfortstitch is a very nice seat..(remember this is the seat I have now)..but I want to upgrade..me and the wife have a habit of riding 600-700+ mile days and I'm looking for the next step up..just my $.02 worth

Just paid $375 for a new Mustang seat for my Ultra. Shipping was free. Great seats, as you already know.....

Thanks for the replies, folks. Very enlightening. Agent Orange, thanks very much for the heads up on the Road Sofa. I guess you can't always judge a book by the cover. The photos make it look extremely comfortable.

The4opps1, I would really appreciate a report once you get the Mustang delivered and installed. I am mainly interested in whether or not it changes your riding position. Like I said in my first post, I loved the comfort of the Mustang on my Sporty, and the wife and I did 500 miles in one day on it. OTOH, if the one for the Touring bikes puts me much higher than the stock seat, I'll barely be able to stop flat footed on my RG.

I have the Seat from the EGC I had on My RG and I Love it, I don't know why HD does not put these seats on all the Touring Models, The Stock Seat on the RG is not the Best, I noticed the difference right away, like Night and Day!

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo

Very good points, Smitty. I wish that I had some of the seat vendors near where I live so I could give them all a try and see which one fits me best. At least I do have a H-D dealer nearby so I can sit on a EG and see how I like the Comfort Stitch seat. Hale's H-D has that one for $240 plus shipping. I sure am hearing good things about that seat here and in other forums.

As was said already, this isn't something I want to rush into. All of the choices are too expensive to buy only to find I don't like it.

I agree with you there Smitty,I have been looking for a stock SG or RG seat for mine when the tourpak is off

Back