free website stats program Touring Gear/Bag-Pack | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring Gear/Bag-Pack

Have a 2006 Road King Classic and am getting gear ready for next summer. Bike has a rack that is rated at 10lbs. I need a good weather proof bag/pack that mounts easy for my set up, that can carry my tent (MSR Hubba Hubba at 4 lbs.), 2 sleeping bags and 2 mats. I figure I can get that and still bring it in at 10lbs., anyone have a FLHRCI with a good packing system they care to share ?

When travling by myself [09 RKC] I use a 2 piece Tourmaster /roll top bag, my clothing goes in first, I roll everything as it takes up less room, than the sleeping bag on them, my tent fits in the right sadle bag along with a tarp to go under it, and if I pack it right so does the rain gear. Left bag is incidentals, things I want to get to when at a stop, cold riding gear, night light,tool bag, hat to cover the last of my helmet hair, snacks, I try not to put in too much as this is where the things I pick on the ride go. The roll top bag is my grip aka bathroom items, camera, map, bino's, meltable snacks, stays about half full, the tourmaster also has side pockets for other items, if I take a chair, folding of course, it gets tied to the right saddle bag guard rail. When the wife goes we use the Ultra, I get the right saddle bag and the storage pouches in the lowers and she gets the left saddle bag and the tour pack for all her bathroom stuff. No tent no sleeping bag as we always do cabins or hotels when we ride togeather, seems she is allot happier the next day this way. Put all your things next to your bike, pack the bag and see what fits, take old skivvies and toss them after use, no need to carry dirty laundry, but if you do, use the gallon size zip lock baggies and roll the air out when closing. You will find you can carry allot of stuff with you after you have pack'd a few times.

Last edited:
Have a 2006 Road King Classic and am getting gear ready for next summer. Bike has a rack that is rated at 10lbs. I need a good weather proof bag/pack that mounts easy for my set up, that can carry my tent (MSR Hubba Hubba at 4 lbs.), 2 sleeping bags and 2 mats. I figure I can get that and still bring it in at 10lbs., anyone have a FLHRCI with a good packing system they care to share ?

I have the luggage rack on a docking point system(not fender attached) along with a separate docking sissy...09 FLHR

I FORGET the 10- 14 lbs. suggested system: harley gives you the 10-14 lbs. as SUGGESTED for the way it is MOUNTED and that is IF MOUNTED ON THE FENDER OR LIGHT BAR /LICENSE PLATE BRKT... I have carried 80 lbs in my T-bag, and only supported ON LUGGAGE RACK....

USING the docking system style luggage rack on my bikes (HD's) I HAVE NEVER HAD A WEIGHT PROBLEM.... FILL IT UP.....

I FILL up my T BAG as the weight is distributed: THINK ABOUT IT..... using docking points,all the weight goes into the HEAVY MADE PARTS OF BIKE ie the seat and shocks...

can't get more strength from bike than that.....

ON a dyna fender mounted luggage rack: WAS MADE for SEAT SCREW to fender license plate brkt..

I HAD TO OBEY THE WEIGHT RATIO THERE

signed....BUBBIE

My wife and I took 2 Western trips each about a month long. The first time we camped for about 7 days so I brought a tent and sleeping bags that I stuffed into a canoe dry bag and strapped to the top of the tour pack using extra strength bungee cords. The second year I switched to a Walmart piece of luggage (we still use it) and cargo straps (not ratchet). I’m sure it weighed in at 50 lbs. Since I have a history of abusing the weight requirements I plan to glue a piece ¼ Lexan that I picked up to the inside bottom of the tour pack and maybe some on the side where the hinge is. Normally when I am traveling alone I can get everything in the luggage otherwise I would strap a bag onto the passenger seat. Fortunately my wife and I weigh in at less than 300 lbs otherwise I would be concerned about how the rear tire might hold up on the interstate.

I will second the use of a "dry bag". I bought some "seconds" from a Campmore/SierraTrader Outpost catalog a few years ago. Definitley water proof and they are bright yellow. Makes it easier for people to see you when it is strapped to the tour pack rack.
Pro: cheap, tough, water proof and simple. There are really no parts that could scratch paint and they are more pliable than ridged luggage.
Con: You have to dig to find things so I only put the items I don't think I need to get to in a hurry.

I have even rolled up some smaller dry bags and strapped/bungied them to the sides of the saddle bag rails. Keeps the center of gravity lower. Tent on one side and the compressable sleeping bags on the other.

Another plus to the dry bag is that the top rolls down and it only takes up the room of the actual contents. They come in a variety of colors and sizes too.

I have a large Neslon Riggs Tour for my 08 FLHR. Since I load it up over 10lbs I have it reversed sitting on my seat using for a back rest. Still secures nicely over backrest. The tour rack holds like you stated of sleeping bag, bedroll and other lighter items.

I use dry bags to cover a holdall that straps on the rear rack been through some awful weather and stayed perfectly dry

Brian

Back