free website stats program Tour-pak latches | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour-pak latches

TQuentin1

Staff member
OK, group. I am totally frustrated with the cheap white metal tour-pak latches from HD. I just had another one break on me this morning which must be the 6th or 8th one since I got the bike. This problem is not limited to one side, since both have been breaking. There is no unusual stress on the latches and the top and bottom of the tour-pak are aligned so there is no unusual side loading on the latches either. I just think these are cheap junk that HD is using to save money (after all, replacements are only about $10). So if any of you guys and dolls have run across an aftermarket latch setup that is stouter, please let me know.

Thanx,

TQ

I think those are the hinges Jake. TQ is looking for the latches.
Funny TQ, I had one break on me last summer. I was in a spot where I couldn't get a replacement right away so I stuck a drop of super glue on it and stuck it back together.
Would you believe it, that thing is still holding on.
I bought a replacement but haven't installed it yet. I'm thinking I'll wait till it breaks again before I change it.

TQ do you ride with your tourpak locked? When I first bought my bike a buddy who has ridden deckers for 30yrs. told me to always lock mine or figure on replacing them every 10,000 miles. I listened and so far so good:D

TQ do you ride with your tourpak locked? When I first bought my bike a buddy who has ridden deckers for 30yrs. told me to always lock mine or figure on replacing them every 10,000 miles. I listened and so far so good:D

No I don't, but I am not sure how that would help. With the latches open and the tour-pak locked, there is about a quarter inch of movement up and down against the lock latch. No movement with the latches closed.

TQ

I talked to my friend today and he told me that the lock should pull down on the lid ,that is why it has a long cam arm on it.Sometimes the plastic wears where the cam seats,you can either replace the plastic or what he suggested was to just bend the metal cam so it pulls down on the lid.He also told me that the latches breaking when ridden unlocked is because when riding solo the wind gets under the pass. backrest and trys to lift the lid.Told me to walk around and check out the baggers,the ones with a gap on the top of the front latch are the ones that are ridden unlocked and they have stretched and are ready to let go.Hope this helps.

I have broken some latches over the time with my 1988 FLT. The latches are designed to fit aluminum electronic and camera cases and never were designed for motorcycle use. Try the luggage industry to find latches. Fossil

Back