free website stats program Tour-Pak Docking Hardware | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour-Pak Docking Hardware

ChopperDoc

I am trying to remove some of the weight from my bike so I decided to remove the King Tour-Pak and install the docking hardware so I could put it back on for trips.

It is HD # 53804-06. First the instructions say that it cannot be used with the layback license plate. This must be a legal issue because the layback plate doesn't interfere with the installation or removal of the Tour-Pak. So I am thinking that having the plate layed back under the Tour-Pak makes it a problem for law enforcement.

Anyway, here is my question. The instructions call for the installation of two spacers on the rear saddle bag mount but nothing on the front mount. The rear mount in its stock position does not interfere with the docking and the only thing I can see that this would do is make it harder to take the bags on and off. The rear mount would contact the bag first and you would have to push the front of the bag into the front mount.

Am I looking at this wrong? I could understand spacing out both the front and rear mounts but why just the rear? You can download the installation PDF of the part number above to see what I am talking about.

Doc, I did the same conversion last year on my Ultra. I do remember changing the plate frame and the spacers are to accommodate the new tour pack rack which should be in your kit.

Also, here's a little tip I got from a friend with scratches on his saddlebag lids - always open the saddlebag lids when installing or removing the tourpak or a sissy bar. :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, here's a little tip I got from a friend with scratches on his saddlebag lids - always open the saddlebag lids when installing or removing the tourpak or a sissy bar. :s

I never even thought about that but what a great tip!

Gotta love this forum!

That IS a good tip about opening the bag lids. I installed the quick docking setup on my tourpack last year. I don't remember the instructions saying anything about a spacer, and I can take my bags off easily with the tp on. I do have to be careful when opening my saddlebags that I don't hit the bottom of the tourpack with them.
A tip when installing the docking hardware, don't finish tightening everything until you have the tourpack latched in place. I thought I had a bad latch, but things were just skewed a little. Everything was fine when I loosened a few screws and got everything aligned.

Seldom a day, when I don't learn something here!

Thanks for all of the info. Had another "Operator Head-Gap Set Too Loose" moment. Not a big fan of button-head bolts, so I changed them out, on the docking hardware, to chrome hex bolts and put Hot Toppers Over them. Nice looking, but couldn't open the saddle bag lids! So back to the button heads. I have got to learn to leave things alone.

Is there anything special you have to do with the wiring (speakers, antenna's, lights etc.) on the Ultra to use the quick detach set-up for the tour pack? I'm looking into doing this on my 02 Ultra.

Back