free website stats program Tour Pak Amp Install - Ground and Remote Turn on | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour Pak Amp Install - Ground and Remote Turn on

Getting ready to attempt an amp install on my 2010 ultra limited. I am having iron cross audio put in the front and rear preamp outs on the stock radio, then running the rca outs to an amp in the tour pak.

I am having trouble finding a good ground location. Is there a ground terminal toward the rear of the bike, or should I just make my own to the frame somewhere? ALso, am I correct that you can just tie in to the headlamp or the cig lighter for the remote turn on for the amp?

You could just use a little more wire and run your ground up to the battery location and there is a couple godd locations there.

The remote turn on is usually supplied by the radio itself. Maybe the Co. that is doing the pre-outs for you can run you a remote wire out for you to use. I suppose the cig lighter or headlight may work but the amp will always be on even when the radio isn't. The other issue may be noise induction (whine) from either of those two power points.

Thanks bodeen. I did check the cig lighter and it only had juice when the bike was on, so that is why I was leaning toward that. I will check for a ground post by the battery.

My '07 tour pak has a ground wire from the radio antenna to one of the bolts holding the t.p. to the rack (under the liner).

Ran out of time adding to my prev. post.

A $19 Power Point Outlet is available from dealer. It connects to a plug just in front of battery and is controlled by the "acc" switch next to ignition switch. I don't know what kind of amp you will be using, but a common place to install one is on top of the radio. It saves room in the t.p

You think that will be a sufficient ground? I actually saw that one but it did not look beefy enough to throw a 4ga ground wire on it.:) It is a 5 channel amp so I did not want to try and jam it in the fairing.

I ended up attaching the ground wire to the backrest bracket under the frond seat. It is connected to the rear fender which connects to the frame, so it appears sturdy. I just got the factory radio back from Iron Cross Audio and will install that back in the bike tonight and see if I get any buzz or hum. I had iron cross install the RCA preamp outputs on the back of the factory radio, changed the backlight color on the radio faceplate, and also had them install a aux jack in the rear of the factory radio.

Back