free website stats program Torque Specs | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque Specs

This is a great question but one that not everyone likes the answer to. Buy a manual for $63.00 or a machineist's handbook $98. To use the Machinests Handbook you will need to know the materials involved in the fastening (I/e Stainless to Aluminum). Thread size and count. Thread depth, meaning how many threads are enguaged in the fastening. I suggest the service manual as your best bet. Harley does all of this engineering for you.
It gives you every spec and part listing for each application as well as proper materials and Loc-Tite specs and assembly proceedures as well. Remember that you should replace lock washers every time you perform maintenance. I bought an assortment of over 1000 lock washers from Fastenal (The supplier to the Harley Plant here in YORK) pretty cheap. The manual does not recommend this practice. It's my own nutty practice that I picked up from the Navy. Also make sure you use a proper Torque Wrench. I like S&K, you can get them on line at Pro-Tool.com at a reasonable price of about $80 per wrench. Make sure you get a dual scale wrench as well. In all you can buy all this stuff for about what you would save in labor fee's from your dealer in one year.

The manual is a valuable resource and here is a hint, NEVER take your bike to anyone that does not have a manual for it. With the manual and HDtalking you will never need the dealer again, unless you need a t-shirt.

To use the Machinests Handbook you will need to know the materials involved in the fastening (I/e Stainless to Aluminum). Thread size and count. Thread depth, meaning how many threads are enguaged in the fastening. .

Very interesting. I did not know you could follow a set of charts and come up with a proper torque specification for a particular application.
Good info Tks!

Where can I get tork specs for 2006 softail?

Post #1 was the best answer. But if you need something quick, do a internet search for "sae torque specs". That will give you a chart for torque for each bolt size. But it won't be as accurate as the HD manual, because many fasteners on your bike are torqued to the application and Harleys spec., not sae. Especially head bolts.

I picked up a manual for this reason, also when you buy any add ons, they come with instruction that include specs

Yes, good point, HD & most aftermarket dealers ensure torque specs are in their instructions. One note - ensure you use proper wrench (i.e. ft/lb vs. in/lb) because you can down/up convert, but I recently used my ft/lb torque (with proper ft to in conversion) & still "topped" a bolt b/c I cranked a bit too impatiently. Also, it's good to re-calibrate your torque wrenches per manufacturer's recommendation every so often. Cheers!

Thanks for the info. Will have to say just started using site and think its really cool. Got to go finish puting primary cover back on. Just did my own starter cluch replacement and solinoid rebuild.Got to finish so i can ride. Thanks again. See ya again soon

Back