free website stats program Top bearings gone after 6,000 miles! | Harley Davidson Forums

Top bearings gone after 6,000 miles!

DavidH89

My '05 treetrod has to have the top bearings changed. There's only about 6,ooo miles on it. The dealer says that its just one of those things that they should wear out so quickly. They say the Streetrod is a heavy bike. Cost of replacing bearing and labour charge is a bout $500. Don't need this type of charge evry year or so.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of problem before. Is it usual to wear out top bearings s quickly? I'm a bit dubious about the dealers answers. Can anybody shine some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a story to me. What was the bike doing?

What bearings are you referring to ?

I would get another opinion about it before doing anything.

It seems a bit strange to me alright. Can't believe a set of bearing should only last such a short time. Tha's the reason I posted this message to see if anyone had any instances of it happening before. Just so I could use it aginst the dealer.

I'm going to mention the same problem to the two other HD dealers we have here in Ireland to see what they say. One of the othe BS reasons thay also gave me was that if the previous owner has used a power washer on the bike perhaps it had hit the bearings in question and washed out the greas packing them....MMMMMMM. I do have a fairly good technical understanding of bikes and cars but am struggling on this one.

I know our HD dealers are struggling here at present so any warranty claims or goodwill repairs are being watched very closely. Anyway we'll see what the other dealers have to say. I really want to get something to use against my local dealer here.

Thanks again all.

Back