free website stats program Top 10 Reason MC Breakdowns | Harley Davidson Forums

Top 10 Reason MC Breakdowns

Tatanka

Hey Guys,
Its that time of the year again and Im brushing up on my Group Touring seminar that I give at the local HD shop a couple times a year.
Something I would like to know from all of you is:
What are the Top ten items that would cause a bike to breakdown on the road. Im sure there are more. looking for suggestions
1. Flat tire
2. Battery
3. Throttle Cable
4. Clutch Cable
5. Electrical
6. Oil Pump
7. Stator
10. Motor-Internal

Well, this may not be an "item" but I would say preventative maintenance should be included. Fix it before it is broke sort of thing.

Ignoring the signs that you got a tank of bad fuel and riding like you would normally,instead of being gentle until you can find boost or have used enough to top up with good fuel.A lot of pistons get unwanted holes this way and there seems to be more stations selling fuel that isn't the grade they claim it to be

Depends on age of vehicle. On my brand new Ultra, it was a fuel filter recall and an ABS brake system failure that caused me to limp into dealer.

I just replaced both tires and had all cables etc checked out at 14,000 miles. Will do the same every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or if I notice something.

So, I would think then that with preventive maintenance being number one on the list, the second would be flat tire as a nail or such can come out of no where

As mentioned about recalls. Make sure you check with your dealer regularly about any recalls or updated downloads. And follow through getting them done. This thread is a good reminder to all of us. Thanks for posting it.:D

Hey Guys,
Its that time of the year again and Im brushing up on my Group Touring seminar that I give at the local HD shop a couple times a year.
Something I would like to know from all of you is:
What are the Top ten items that would cause a bike to breakdown on the road. Im sure there are more. looking for suggestions
1. Flat tire
2. Battery
3. Throttle Cable
4. Clutch Cable
5. Electrical
6. Oil Pump
7. Stator
10. Motor-Internal

NEGLECT and LACK OF COMMEN SENSE !! You know the old saying --- "RODE HARD AND PUT AWAY WET" -- Well , keep doing that and you won't
have a scoot left. JMHO!!!!!

Inspect the drive belt or chain & make sure it is in good condition because if it breaks it can ruin a good day . I also carry a extra tail light bulb just incase , because there is nothing worst then not being seen in the dark or your brake light not working & getting rear ended :newsmile070:& the tail light bulb is a easy roadside fix . And dont forget to carry some blue locktight :s

Back