free website stats program Tool question | Harley Davidson Forums

Tool question

skcm2006

What kind (SAE?) and what sizes of Hex Bits do I need? I never needed them before and thus dont have them.

I have the SAE sockets, a good torque wrench, SAE wrenches....
Is there other tools I should be looking at to start turning my own wrench?

Thanks!

Russ

Depends on how much work you want to do. You will need torx sockets, especially a 27. Some sort of oil filter wrench, I prefer a strap wrench. A VOM meter. 10 mm and a 1/4'' 12 point sockets for doing break pad replacement. I am sure others will suggest more.

Of course, good torque wrenches are a must!

A good set of Allen wrenches. Buy quality. Using inferior tools WILL damage your fasteners.

I agree, a good torx assortment...27 being the most common. Not many metric sockets; however, there are a few 10's & 12's. No need for special tools unless you mess w/ the ignition switch or get down into the inner primary (tranny swap). Probably the most important tool is the service manual which is downloadable here at this site.

Most of the guys have you covered here, but do look in the self help section for specific maintenance and service details. BTW you Harley uses a mixture of Metric and SAE sized tools, and spring for the an HD service manual. You will save the money by doing it yourself the first time you crack it open and use it.

I looked at the bike and it appears I need some Hex sockets. Any recommendations as to what sized or selection?

thanks

Back