free website stats program Tool Kits | Harley Davidson Forums

Tool Kits

glider

Veteran Member
Here's a few choices for tool kits as well as tire plugging kits for those that do a lot of traveling.
Plugging tires is only meant for a "get you home" and the tire should be replaced as soon as possible.
Also there are some dealers that will not work on a tire with SLIME used as a sealant because of the mess it makes on their machines.

H-D® - Snap-On® Tool Kit, 94684-00A

WindZone Essential Tool Kits

Sport Touring Tool Pouch ROADGEAR

RoadTech M3 Tool Roll

Slime Power Sport Smart Spair

Winning Pocket Tire Plugger

beza Windzone: Essential Motorcycle Tool Kits

With the newer bikes, there are some things that are difficult to repair on the road, but most things being electronic are best left to a professional.

Below I'll try to give you some of the things that would be useful for a tool kit for the road in case of a breakdown. This is what I carry.

A multi tip screwdriver (2 in 1) phillips and regular on the tips.

Spark plug wrench.

Pair of vice grips 6"-8" Or Channel lock pliers.

Set of torx bits (just the bits) preferrably ones that will fit into the multi tip screwdriver handle.

A multi tool of allen keys.(6-10 piece set in one tool).

Small set of 6 point wrenches.

Small 3/8 drive socket set, if you have the room.

A 6'' adjustable wrench.

Tubeless tire repair kit with inflator.

Spare fuses.

Pair of cutting pliers (side cutters).

A length of plastic tubing for "borrowing" some gas.

A dozen or so nylon zip ties.

Electrical tape.

A 10 MM wrench for the battery terminals.

Some assorted bolts and nuts.

A few different size hose clamps.

A few feet of safety wire to get you home if a cable breaks.

Emergency repair barrel for the clutch cable(has 2 screws that clamp the cable for a temp repair).

A 12 volt test light.

A small flashlight that works.

Some rags to clean up with also a tiny spray can of WD40 to use as a hand cleaner or a lube.

Most important is a cell phone when you find out you can't fix it.

Last edited:
Don't forget the T-27 Torx bit. The one that doesn't come in a lot of "kits."

Thanks Mr. Data!

I carry one of those flashlight that requires winding (no batteries). :bigsmiley12:

Just a note about the WD40 - originally, it was made with a highly flammable propellant however starting in the late 1990's the propellant was changed to CO2, which is much safer. Be sure to have the safer product onboard!!

CatWoman :rider

For those who prefer a DMM (digital multi-meter to a test light, Harbor Freight sells one typically for $9.99, but this week it is available for $1.99 w/ coupon?!!! Fits in your hand, and you can just wrap in a sock to protect it in your tool bag.

You can't really go wrong at that price. It measures Volts (Electrical Pressure), Ohms (Electrical Resistance) and MilliAmps (Electrical Current), and a good one to learn how to use it (they are much more robust than the old mechanical ones)!

I went kinda cheap, and bought exactly based on need, only torx, hex, phil & slot bits used on my bike, go to small hex ratchet for getting in small places with extension, sockets fuses, pliers, cutters, duct tape, bailing wire, zip ties & tire plug kit/inflator. I put 'em in a canvas compartmented apron/tool roll in a leather tool bag out back. Been in customer service too long not to have backup plan for just about every contingency.

Roger that, T 25 comes close but not the same. I have seen guys try them and ruin the bolts, Then I use a spline drive Snap On easy out to rescue them LOL

I carry one of the ball cap lights (that clip on the brim of a ball cap). That way I have both hands to 'work' if needed. They're only good for a few months (battery life)...so you'll need to replace regularly. I buy several when Hunting Season comes up.

The 'CAMO' version looks GREAT against my Fire Red Pearl bike...lol

Billy G

If you check over the bikes, there's quite a few metric fasteners on them.:s

10MM on the battery for openers.

Front forks have 6 MM metric fasteners at the bottom of the leg.

And if your bike has a carb you may find some metric threads in it also

Brian

Back