free website stats program Too Much "Meat" On New Pads? | Harley Davidson Forums

Too Much "Meat" On New Pads?

Installing new pads on my PM rear caliper on my '93 FXR. Pistons are completely compressed and Instill can't get the new pads in. So, I break out the calipers and sure enough...there's .084" that needs to come off the pads just to make them fit, and at that amount there wont be any room to get them off the disc. I figure I need to take an 1/8" to a 1/16" off of each pad. Anybody ever have to do that to make new pads fit?

Installing new pads on my PM rear caliper on my '93 FXR. Pistons are completely compressed and Instill can't get the new pads in. So, I break out the calipers and sure enough...there's .084" that needs to come off the pads just to make them fit, and at that amount there wont be any room to get them off the disc. I figure I need to take an 1/8" to a 1/16" off of each pad. Anybody ever have to do that to make new pads fit?

Are you sure you got the correct pads for your model/year?

TQ

You will not have to shave the pads if there made for your bike, sounds like you have the wrong ones.

Yeah...wrong ones. Just got off the phone with Performance Machine. The 11mm pads were some old race application. The ones I need are 7.8mm. Drag Specialties got rid of a bunch of these about two years ago, and some less than honest eBay dealers scooped them up for a song and sold them to unsuspecting shmucks like yours truly ! The correct ones are now on the way.

Yeah...wrong ones. Just got off the phone with Performance Machine. The 11mm pads were some old race application. The ones I need are 7.8mm. Drag Specialties got rid of a bunch of these about two years ago, and some less than honest eBay dealers scooped them up for a song and sold them to unsuspecting shmucks like yours truly ! The correct ones are now on the way.

:s Best of luck to you:s Can you cross reference those pads with the part number when you get the right ones? Just a thought for the future:s

Ken; Thanks for posting that info for us. Subtle differences like mfg. pad thicknesses aren't commonly known.

Back