free website stats program Too many miles? | Harley Davidson Forums

Too many miles?

Pianoman

If you were buying a used 2002 Harley Heritage Softtail, what is the most miles you would accept on it and why?

Steve07 has you covered. Lots of variables. How many miles are on it?

All of the above, and then "it depends on what you want the bike for".

If you want a trouble free bike that all you need to do is change fluids and put gas in, then really low miles is mo' better. If you want a bike at a bargain that you are gonna put time and effort (and money of course) into, then higher or high mileage will get the price down while giving you a platform to build on.

So, you need to give us mo' info before we can make any sort of valuable comments.

TQ

I heard somewhere 10K miles per year is thought to be average. Higher than average mileage does not raise concerns with me, condition of the bike and its maintenance records are what I look at.
Around 50,000 miles I'd like to see the drive belt had been replaced-just my opinion.
If the bike is lower than average mileage, I like to give it a second break in period before using it harder-just my thing again.
My personal key points are the drive belt as mentioned and the fuel filter change as I tend to do long rides on the back roads so preventative maintenance is nearly an obsession with me.
Steve 07 has covered cam chain tensioners.

And along with mileage is price. Some times sellers think because it is a low mileage older Harley it is like a diamond in the rough and ask terribly inflated prices....

Kelley Blue Book Motorcycle states an "average" mileage for a 2002 as 44,000 miles and a price of $10,000. As others have said my concern would be with complete and accurate maintenance records.

I know what I would like for my bike but the rest of the world thinks otherwise, so I look at other ads, like Ebay and base my price off that, of course extras make a differents. Most ads have mileage and other info, something to base thing off. IMO

Kelley Blue Book Motorcycle states an "average" mileage for a 2002 as 44,000 miles and a price of $10,000. As others have said my concern would be with complete and accurate maintenance records.

Wow, that's only 4,400 miles a year on a 10 year old bike! I average around 6000 a year and I'm constantly wishing I could do more!

Wow, that's only 4,400 miles a year on a 10 year old bike! I average around 6000 a year and I'm constantly wishing I could do more!

Yeah but you get the guys that do only 1 or 2 thousand and that brings the overall average down. Example, look at our mileage poll.

Back