free website stats program Too loud man? | Harley Davidson Forums

Too loud man?

capnjapseye

Hi all

I've had my 09 Nightster since 5th Jan now and I love how it looks (see pic). I had the short shots fitted before taking delivery - just a bit concerned about the volume! Has anyone tried the quiet baffles? Any other ideas for good lookin pipes which aren't quite as loud? I still have the OEM pipes and cans so could go for end cans only on the original system. Truth is, I love the look of the slash cuts pipes on the US model, but the cigar shaped cans which come with the UK bike don't do much for me.

Attachments

• IMGP0247A.jpg
    IMGP0247A.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 323
Put the quiet baffles in and see what you think. If you like the look of the pipes you have, that's the best option, right?

I'm putting slip-ons on my Nightster cause I kind of like the stock pipes but want a bit more volume.

Hi all

I've had my 09 Nightster since 5th Jan now and I love how it looks (see pic). I had the short shots fitted before taking delivery - just a bit concerned about the volume! Has anyone tried the quiet baffles? Any other ideas for good lookin pipes which aren't quite as loud? I still have the OEM pipes and cans so could go for end cans only on the original system. Truth is, I love the look of the slash cuts pipes on the US model, but the cigar shaped cans which come with the UK bike don't do much for me.

That's a seriously good looking mount you have there - I like the pipes. Enjoy it and good luck with the volume adjustment. :D

I dunno man, last Summer I put a set of used SE II muffs on my 1200 w/o baffles (the guy I got 'em from threw 'em away) and they are loud! But, I gotta tell ya, after a coupla runs to and from town I REALLY like the sound of the new muffs. Yeah they're loud but man I gotta tell ya nothing sounds as good as a Sportster with the loudys on it.:D I wish my bike sounded like the one Micky Rourke rode in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man. I like that.:newsmile048:

Hi all

Cap'n I really like the rowdy look of your bike and I think the loud pipes probably go with it, attitude wise as well. Hopefully it has the low end bass note and very little of the high end "bark" or ring notes. Might also want to lower the idle speed slightly lower than stock for the true potato-potato-potato cadence we all know and love.

There is a wooden fence along side my driveway that reflects the rumble of the pipes, and I have to tell you, Pontiac will never "-- build excitement" the way my Harley sounds with Drag pipes and baffles. Without the baffles the pipes were L-O-U-D the high pitched bark rings in your ears, like shooting 5 shots of a .357 (even w/ earmuffs on) at the local outdoor range verses .38 caliber wheel gun under a tin roof canopy and steel pipe supports.

Last edited:
Hi all

Morning,

Nice bike. Bout' 20 years ago I live in a nice neigborhood that had the access to our garage's via the alley in the in the back of the house's. I had an old shovelhead that I just got back from the shop where I had it bored, camed, piped, aped, ignitioned, etc. I was in the garage admiring my 'new' bike and I was cranking the throttle a few times. Really sounded good! A few minutes after I turned it off the door bell rang. I went and opened the door and here are two very senior ladies standing there with very nice smiles on their faces. One of them hands me a plant in a small planter. She says "Hi, I'm your neighbor down there two houses", pointing down the street. I says "hello". She say's "I was hoping that you might fix the muffler on your motorcycle". I'm just standing there looking at these two very nice ladies. She says "my husband works nights and during the day I take care of my granddaughter and he sleeps during the day and my granddaughter naps during the day" Well geeezzzzzzzzzzz. I says "why yes mam, I'm gonna fix that muffler right now". She says "thank you and I hope you have a wonderful day" and they leave talking and laughing about something. I didn't crank the throttle anymore during week days.

I like loud. But you have to 'think' and respect your neighbors.

ride safe

twoup

Your quote:

ride safe

twoup

Nobody can say it any better than that. Either we start to mend out evil ways now, or we will pay a steeper price down the road. Loud pipes don't just save lives, they make people mad too. It is far better to get along with everyone than it is to flaunt our individual preferences in public.

Your quote:

I agree with this statement.

It is far better to get along with everyone than it is to flaunt our individual preferences in public.

I respectfully disagree here. I don't really care what everyone one else thinks, I refuse to give up my preferences because others disapprove. As long as I'm not breaking the law (or getting caught), LOUD as I can get!:D

The Guy I bought my electra from has some obnoxiously loud pipes on it.
I have the side shots on my 2006 883c and luv them, But the dude is nearly seventy and a life long Fireman/E.M.T. He also claims loud pipes save lives ??? Who am I to disagree ?

Back