free website stats program to tuner or not to tuner | Harley Davidson Forums

to tuner or not to tuner

just installed rb racing lsr exhaust,big sucker stage 1. on an 09 fat boy. my dilema is tuning which way to go. stage 1 download is not expensive.but not sure it will do a sufficient job. been suggested that i install a master tune by tss then have it dynoed/tuned. kinda expensive is it worth it? any help would be appreciated.

to tuner or not to tuner is not a question, it's a given, you put the extra bucks out for the best motorcycle on the market why would you shimp here. Buy the best, forget the rest, she's worth it.

went to the diagnostic section read thru the info. seems that ther is not much of an option as far as efi is concerned. guess i will go with the tss master tuner. not very knowledgeable about this subject, thnx for the info. im sure it will run alot better once done i hope.

not so much the money as gettn bang for buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
did not know they did tuners, did speak to them about this pretty much told me to find a good tuner, as in a person who knew what they were doing. that sent me on this quest because i was told by a local dealer i had to have a tuner to tune my bike or that stage 1 dwnld. dwnld did not sound to be what i really needed.

normal lsr,people were commenting that these pipes were not as loud as thunder headers there louder,sound better and look better,less expensive.

went to doebeck web site said they dont have anything for 08 up

Last edited by a moderator:
Dobeck performance has a tuner for your bike. The newest ones are the gen. 3 and 3.5 with units that fit 2010 models also. I have a gen. 3 on my 2008 dyna. I installed it myself and adjusted it aslo with the detailed instructions. This is the controller you want for a stage 1.
Dobeck has a new product out called the EJK (electronic jet kit) There is a new site that they have out but are still working on. Take a look and you will find the controller you need. electronicjetkit:)
I have signed on with them to be a rep. If you have more questions please ask!

This is a question I asked myself many times. Please don't take this wrong. I have been running my bike without a tuner for over 17K miles. 07 FXST, and it runs fine. V&H Bigshots Staggered, SE A/C with K&N Filter, SE Plugs and wires. I am an avid reader of American Iron Mag and in several issues they state that they have found that HD Download and or tuner is not necessary. Being curious and tossing this question around even today, I had my bike placed on a Dynojet Dyno machine. I was surprised,

Max Power - 75.21
Max Torque - 86.78
Fuel & Air - around 13.5 to 1

Now, we all know HD runs lean from the factory around 14.5 to 1 which is why they all run so hot. Dang EPA.

Anyway I included my Dyno Sheet for your pleasure. I checked my plugs for proper color and they are right on. I was surprised myself so, I went to HD with my Dyno sheet and they were as surprised as me. They told me that all engines are not the same as they are built within a certain spec. Some are better than others. I guess I am just lucky. Purchased a Dyna Street Bob for my wife and did the same to hers, no download. V&H Big Radius Pipes, SE Air Cleaner, SE Plugs and Wires. So far after over 5K miles hers runs great as well.

I just think it's a money maker and HD is told that they have to tell you that so they can make extra money. O2 Sensores, According to AIM will adjust within limits of course but either I am lucky or I just don't beleive the hype. Who knows the real answer.

Either way, I took my chances and it works out for me. I still ask questions though if I should use a tuner or not. So far I just have not been convinced.

I will tell you that most are surprised at the power my 07 FXST gets from having no Fuel Tuner. Thats the main reason I was concerned because you know the old saying (Lean is Mean) and at takeoff I was killing my freinds victory with a 100 CI engine.

I say, make your choice and see what you get.

Last edited:
Max Power - 75.21
Max Torque - 86.78
Fuel & Air - around 13.5 to 1

Now, we all know HD runs lean from the factory around 14.5 to 1 which is why they all run so hot. Dang EPA.

I just think it's a money maker and HD is told that they have to tell you that so they can make extra money. O2 Sensores, According to AIM will adjust within limits of course but either I am lucky or I just don't beleive the hype. Who knows the real answer.

It is not a money maker.
1) You can not check your plugs and judge your A/F ratio by looking at the color. You won't even be close.
2) Your Dyno pulls were performed at WOT. At Wide open throttle the ECM is OPEN loop and not even looking at the 02 sensors. A/F ratios are made strictly from a look up table.
3) Since the A/F ratio that is shown is at WOT you are Lean. Under WOT conditions your A/F ratio should be in the 12's.
4) I can almost guarantee you that you A/F's are much higher than you think they are.
5) Would you know which pipe the A/F ratio probe was inserted into? It Makes a Big difference.

you are correct about the WOT, the sensor was placed in the rear cylinder exhaust pipe. Thanks for the post and this is one of the reasons why I question it often. But I do have around 17K on the bike with this setup and no problems. I don't know why the dyno sheet did not post but I willtry again. Not that it matter because you are right about the WOT and the O2's. But as I stated, I am an avid reader of AIM and trust them for advice.

I am just not convinced. HD tried to scare me into purchasing a race tuner my ststing that I could possibly burn out my exhaust valves and I do know that it can happen but no problems so far.

The other reason I question my choice is, I still think I can get more out of it if I put a race tuner on the bike. I have not decided which one to try though if I do. Power Commander, V&H Tuner or another. Everyone I talk to about it always has a different choice. I recently talked to a guy who does tuning with the PC and he explained and showed me the difference with tuning the different throttle positions and explained the sensors to me in detail. I was almost convinced.

Back