free website stats program to service or not to service ? | Harley Davidson Forums

to service or not to service ?

magmini

Banned
we'll it's almost time for my 1000 mile service . honestly i don't want the dealer to touch my bike . let me explain , i went to the dealer about a month after buying my bike and asked about the s.e.r.t. tune for my bike . the tech/service manager told me that because i made my own exhaust that they couldn't tune my bike and i probably voided my warranty . told me that harleys need back pressure to run right , but whatever . so i bought a thunder max and no dealer dyno run . plus i feel better that they don't have to touch my bike . now i was there a week ago and ask about my 1000 mile service . told them i didn't want the (EDITED) harley/citco oil in my bike and i was going to bring them some spectro for the motor and trans . now nothing was said about my pipes,air cleaner ect. , but now if i don't run "harley approved" oil i will void my warranty . so basically i could care less about the factory warranty because if something happens to this thing in the next few years it will have full coverage and it might "disappear" . plus it will give me a reason to do the 103 or 110 big bore so........ the only thing i wanted to know is there anything special i should do or check , re-tourqe ? i really don't want anybody to touch my bike . oh and the 1000 mile service is gonna cost me about $400 and i'm gonna have to change my oil in the trans and motor again anyway ! (EDITED) if ya ask me !

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your HD dealer is doing you a little customer "diss-service"...I would try and find another dealer AND do my own routine service...if you choose not to. JMO

Personally I think you should find another HD dealer, but do tell your story of dissatisfaction. As long as you keep good records, spring for the "official" HD service manual and perform the service you should be fine whichever path you decide.

I am kinda like Smitty or Hobbit who have nurtured a very good relationship with their dealers, as there are good ones and bad ones ask around. Once you find a good one, and you will not be sorry, one that is supportive of you doing the routine stuff and they the other types of service you feel uncomfortable or do not have the tooling to do...

i don't have a problem doing any of the "service" . i just ahd to vent alittle . i'm not bringing my bike back to have them do it . now i have a recall for my kick stand and that will be taken care of by them . i will be on the look out for a better dealer . maybe i will have a talk with the owner and se where she stands .

Find another dealer that is honest with you. They cannot void your warranty for what you mentioned above.

I think it might be a good Idea to try to find a dealership where the owner is there quite a bit of the time and is out on the floor getting to know the customers and build a relation ship with them. My dealership is owned by a woman and she is on the floor quite often and always has a big smile and hug for me when I see her. I pretty confident if I ever had a problem I could go to her and she would see to it that the issue was taken care of. At another dealer in the area the owner may sometimes be in his office but I've never seen him.

well i didn't make my own pipes technically . i cut the stock pipes at the ends and pulled the baffles out , so the pipes look and sound the way i want them to . plus they are one of a kind , till somebody does the same thing the their stock pipes . i have decided to not go back to the dealer unless i need to , recalls and things i can't do on my own . short of an engine or tranny rebuild i think i'll be ok .

service the darn bike yourself if your comfortable doing it, its so darn simple, if you have areas you are not familiar with get a manual and save some money. if not find another dealer.

what is the differance with cutting out the baffles or buying a set of pipes with no baffles ? i have the thundermax to tune the bike so i don't understand why it's not good with "modern" engines ? theis motors are basically the same as shovel , evo , pans ect. the only real differance is the fuel injection . maybe i'm not seeing it ?

they are not straight through . i welded a piece of the baffle back in for some back pressure . it's just a big washer type thing but it serves its purpose . i guess my motor is gonna last a little less than it would with baffled muffelers . we'll see .

Back