free website stats program To rich after cam change | Harley Davidson Forums

To rich after cam change

lidflipper

Installed Andrews 48h in my 09 B motor yesterday. I have Samson longhorns, Arlen Ness bigsucker, and Dobeck gen 3. I have turned the green pot down to 1 1/2 and the motor is still running rich (eye burning rich). The bike runs strong, pulls like a goverment mule, and idles great. When I go down to setting 1 there is a deep drop in the motor performance. My questions are-
1- Is this normal for the motor be so rich after such cam change?
2- Is the gen 3 enough after said cam change?
Thank you for your responses

Installed Andrews 48h in my 09 B motor yesterday. I have Samson longhorns, Arlen Ness bigsucker, and Dobeck gen 3. I have turned the green pot down to 1 1/2 and the motor is still running rich (eye burning rich). The bike runs strong, pulls like a goverment mule, and idles great. When I go down to setting 1 there is a deep drop in the motor performance. My questions are-
1- Is this normal for the motor be so rich after such cam change?
2- Is the gen 3 enough after said cam change?
Thank you for your responses

Maybe the mods will move this question over to the Dobecks Product Support Thread and let them answer..

I have some information but I don't want to missLead you

I also had to turn Down the green pot on my TFI when I went to SE255 cams on my 96 in stage one 09 FLHR..

I think they will tell you how to set the Gen3 to improve all ridding.

I can turn off the idle mixture on mine by setting the # 4 pot to 7:00 position to come on at above idle for a too rich idle mixture. But mine is Not too rich,,, YES i did have to turn it down below 1.5 setting also.

But ? on your gen3.

Your going to like that 48H cam...

signed....BUBBIE

I moved this here as Bubbie suggested. Doebeck will help you out.

Thank you gentlemen. Did not think about asking the source. Yes Bubbie The 48h is a great puller from the onset. Woke the motor up big time. Now it sounds 2 times better than it did.

I see this hasn't had a response from Dobeck and it's been up for over a month. I hope they respond, I have 48H cams on the way for my 2010 Fat Bob so will be very interested in the response. I'm sure I would have started turning the green UP if my bike doesn't run well with the settings it has now with just the stage 1. When I called Dobeck about the cam change prior to ordering the 48s I was told leaveit as is until I see how it runs then make changes from there. Glad I ran across this post about turning the green down.

sorry for the delay in response, hadn't seen this yet
basically the map sensor is confused at idle with the change in cam profile. this creates a need for fuel in different areas than with a stock map. fully warmed up engine at 1800 rpms in neutral you can use the green mode to find a sweet spot for green fuel add. the results from this will tell alot. let us know where you end up on the green mode after this test.

Finished installing the Andrews 48s in my 2010 Fat Bob, the Gary Beatty inner cam bearing tool worked as advertised and I got the bearings changed out also. The cam chain tensioner shoes had just a slight wear on them so I left them in. We just broke the old record for snow fall yesterday, 133.4 inches I think was the number so I haven't had a chance to really wring it out yet but was able to take it out for a couple mile ride last Friday. I had to adjust the EJK green down to 2.5, other than that everything is as recommended for the stage 1. I tried it at 1.5 but got some surging at low speeds so brought it back home and with it fully warmed up and at about 2,000 rpm (no tac so it was my guess what the rpm was) brought the green from 1 up to 3 where it lowered the idle some then back to 2.5 where it kicked back up and seemed to run better. It doesn't surge at low speed now but haven't got it out to give it a good run yet. Can't wait to get on the road with it because I also installed the True Track this winter maybe this evening, the snow we got yesterday has melted off the road and the Sun is out, at least a quick cruise around the neighborhood anyway.

OK, got to ride for about 20 miles and the bike didn't feel quite right. Readjusted the green to 1.5 and now it feels right, cruised through the neighborhood at about 20 mph and no surging. Current settings on the GEN 3 now with the stage 1 (no dealer download) and Andrews 48 cams are : Green - 1.5, Yellow - 3, red - 3, G/B - 2, Y/B - 4 and R/B - 4.5. I reserve the right to change the settings at anytime, that's why I have the Dobeck Gen 3 after all.:D

After about 3500 mls on my 48H cams, I have almost the exact same settings FOG60. I still have a low rpm hesitation/ spit back problem when trying to accelerate out of curves. The bike has bit of a bog when you get on the gas before it goes. If you twist to far you get a spit back out of the throttle body. I have went back through the push-rod adj. process, thinking that might have been the problem. No Change. What has helped is going down to 89 octane. Seems it makes the engine run better over 91.

lidflipper,
I would suggest to turn the yellow/blue mode up a bit. It sounds like the yellow fuel is coming in too early and causing a rich issue. If this doesn't seem to fix the problem you can try to turn down the yellow .5 or 1 light position. Of course check your push-rod adjustment....just wanted to give some ideas about the controller too.

Back