free website stats program To Re-tire or Not to Re-tire? | Harley Davidson Forums

To Re-tire or Not to Re-tire?

Bikergeek

Looking for opinions or recommendations on this subject:

I have an '08 FLSTC that I bought used back in Aug., 2010 with 4363 miles on the odometer. I put another 600 miles since the purchase.

I am replacing the stock laced wheels with the Harley Thunderstar wheels. A local Harley dealership is doing the installation. The wheels are there and they are waiting for me to get the bike there but the weather is not to my liking. It's too (EDIT) cold.

Looking at the rear tire, it looks questionable whether I should re-use it or replace it at this time. There is what I would consider reasonable treadlife that would probably pass a safety inspection but the center tread is showing much wear vs. the edges of the same tire. I'm using the side tread depth to compare it to the center. The tire's manufacturer's date is the 28th week of 2007.

The front tire appears good at this time so I plan on re-using it.

What is the expected life of these Dunlop tires? How many miles should these tires go before changing?

Would it be best at this time to replace it while the bike is at Harley? Will I be better off getting a new Dunlop Tire by myself and bring the tire to them. I should save substantial cash buying it myself via online. Yes?

Keep in mind the dealer has to remove the tires anyway to re-install on the new wheels.

What do you think? Lots of questions. Help!! :(

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Average tire life on Dunlops on a bagger can be between 10-14K depending on riding style. I would be tempted to replace the tire being it's going on a new wheel to eliminate one extra tire change on a new rim.

I would replace the tire while it is off. Doesn't have a lot of miles on it, but sounds like it is showing some wear. I would have the dealer quote the tire, it might be cheaper than you think.

I would Put all NEW totally ... If you leave the tires on the Old Wheels,,, they would sell and maybe a little extra.. You are Keeping the OLD wheels aren't you.... Unless they are traded in. I wouldn't Leave them.

signed....BUBBIE

I have Never like the customer bringing in their own welding rod or steel when I do a common job for them. I'm sure they would ALSO want to charge a little more then.

New wheels bearings and tires good start, how are the brake pads as long as you have the wheels off?

I would Put all NEW totally ... If you leave the tires on the Old Wheels,,, they would sell and maybe a little extra.. You are Keeping the OLD wheels aren't you.... Unless they are traded in. I wouldn't Leave them.

signed....BUBBIE

I have Never like the customer bringing in their own welding rod or steel when I do a common job for them. I'm sure they would ALSO want to charge a little more then.

Trade in the old wheels?? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Harley doesn't buy anything. They only sell, sell, sell! And not cheap.

I have no use for the old wheels but I certainly will be taking them home. I also plan on taking the old parts as well, including the tire tubes, nuts & bolts. NY state motor vehicle law says customers that request old parts must get them.

If anyone here is interested in buying the laced wheels and tires as a complete set, I'll sell it to you. Make me an offer. Then I'll get all new tires for the new wheels.

The brake pads appear to be fine. The wheel bearings will be changed. They are different than the laced wheel bearings. It's all part of my BIG purchase.

I vote with Jack, just put on new tires also. They can mount up the new tires before you take the bike in, then they just have to mount them.

There is a Thread for selling here on site. List them there and you May get them sold.. Put your price or ? make offer and good luck..

signed....BUBBIE

Back