free website stats program to lifters or not to lifters?? | Harley Davidson Forums

to lifters or not to lifters??

astrorock

Hay guys, it's time to freshen up the top end on the old evo.. I'm looking for some of your opinions, i have been told by a parts guy at a local dealer to change the lifters when i do my top end, he says he changes his every 30k.. doesn't the lifters wear in with the cam?? isn't that why you are supposed change the lifters when you change the cam?? wouldn't new lifters on a broken in cam cause more wear problems??

why would you not do it yourself?
and with rller lifters it is not the issue it was with flat tappets. with those you never want to put used on new, either way. you can sneak by with new lifters on used cam, but no way the other way.
the Evo is not a problem. but unless the lifters are giving you problems why change them at 30K, more money senselessness being spent. I would run what you have, build it yourself. that way you know how it was done. now if you have not the tools or skills, different story. but a decent set of tool from sears, and agood shop manual, and a buddy who does it alot is a huge asset.

Why would you attempt to do it urself when machine shops all around that can do it better?

Not understanding?? I'm not doing the machine work, just the build.. got one of the best to do that for me. it just sounded odd to me that the dealer wanted me to change lifters when there is nothing wrong with the ones i have..

gunna bump the comp. to 9.5:1 and get some head-work done while he's got them.. prob pull the baffles and then throw it back on the dyno..

Since your refreshing the top end and bumping the comp. up with head work too, why not give your new build a set of Jims or SS lifters? If it were me I wouldn't be cutting corners. I would probably go for a set of roller rockers too. This is your build but since you ask I thought I would throw some new things in for you to think about. You did not say what cam your running but since your upping the comp. with head work why not put a higher lift cam in too??

been running an ev-27 for a couple years now.. i think the cam will be fine, i'm not building a race motor.. just want to do some of the stuff that should have been done from the factory (8.5:1 comp. REALLY!!):p.. anyway, just looking to make it a little stronger for the road that's all.. I'd go 10:1 but that might damage the bottom end, and we don't have gas for that here.. we have 93 octane with 15% ethanol, not the strongest fuel..

I have adjustable pushrods so i don't have to take the top end apart to do the lifters, i can do that whenever in an hr or two.. i just don't see a need to spend 250$ on a part that's not bad.. if it required tearing it down again id change them for sure..

roller rockers i might think about

Are you going to stiffer springs? This might require different (better) lifters. I would ask the builder and go with what he suggests. Maybe it's the cam manufactors recommendation? Or suggested as a kit.
wilks3
:USA

I would of suggested the adjustable push rods but You have them already.. GOOD and Why the big dollars for lifters? Chevy or stock HD's should not cost that much...

I would NOT change out until I heard a problem like a Tick..... I have Just given away 12 lifters that were changed out of Build I have done,,,, and all were good..What a waste of MOOLA :( the guy who got them is going to sell them and I hope he makes a buck or two...:D

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

the ev27 is only like a 500 lift cam, perfectly fine with stock springs.. if my springs need to be changed then i might go to 600 lift springs and lifters in case i decide to go to a bigger cam l8ter.. the parts guy at harley said they were like 225$

Back