free website stats program To add a Tuner or not...need help! | Harley Davidson Forums

To add a Tuner or not...need help!

hdfozz

Ok,I have been doing a lot of research on Tuners,kind of mind boggling!..Heres what I'm looking to do,I have a 2011 FLHX 96ci,looking to replace the slip-ons and upgrade the air cleaner,basicly stage 1, nothing more,I have read on another tuner site that,it's all hype that the bike has to be remapped after installing mufflers and an air cleaner.What is consenses on this?Looking for a set of mufflers that have the low rumble,not loud!but has a bark when you accel. any info greatly app. Thanks

Get you a Doebeck and forget the dealer and the remap. Forum member discount and a lot of happy customers here. You'll be glad you did.

Bodeen

Ok,I have been doing a lot of research on Tuners,kind of mind boggling!..Heres what I'm looking to do,I have a 2011 FLHX 96ci,looking to replace the slip-ons and upgrade the air cleaner,basicly stage 1, nothing more,I have read on another tuner site that,it's all hype that the bike has to be remapped after installing mufflers and an air cleaner.What is consenses on this?Looking for a set of mufflers that have the low rumble,not loud!but has a bark when you accel. any info greatly app. Thanks

Dobeck TFI - Harley Davidson Community indeed start here make your decision mention you are a member get the discount and remember they have a great warranty and tech support:s

The TFI from Dobeck is a great, simple to install and use product. And you get a forum discount.

You'll get dozens of opinions on pipes but I put on the Screaming Eagle Street Performance Slip Ons and got just what you're looking for. Nice low rumble most of the time but not loud enough to be considered obnoxious.

Nothing left to be said. get a TFI and be done with it.

The choice is whether you want to spend around $1K for a tuner and dyno time or do it yourself and get the TFI and not have to subject your bike to dyno thrashing.

Nothing left to be said. get a TFI and be done with it.

The choice is whether you want to spend around $1K for a tuner and dyno time or do it yourself and get the TFI and not have to subject your bike to dyno thrashing.

Talked to the tech at Dobeck and he said if I could wait a couple of weeks, Gen 4 would be in. I'm doing just that.

One question;
What about warranty issues? I have Samson Ovals on now ( no tuner). I want to change air box when I get the TFI.
I know the Dobeck can be removed if needed, for warranty work, but what's the dealer going to say about the bike having stage 1 conversion with No tuning?
Am I over thinking this?

Dealers try to push the dealer download which adds about 5% fuel and raises the rev limit to 6200 RPM besides making them a couple hundred dollars. What I would do is if there is a unwarrantable issue, put the stock air cleaner back on the bike and remove the TFI. It's that simple. Many say that the newer bikes will self adjust to the stage 1 but it would be very lean. I don't go with this thinking myself.

Just for the heck of it, ask your dealer about adding the stage 1 intake and slip ons and see what they recommend. I'll bet it will be their tuner and dyno work for about $1000, if they say it will self adjust, then it's an easy solution for you but I would still add the TFI.

Dealers try to push the dealer download which adds about 5% fuel and raises the rev limit to 6200 RPM besides making them a couple hundred dollars. What I would do is if there is a unwarrantable issue, put the stock air cleaner back on the bike and remove the TFI. It's that simple. Many say that the newer bikes will self adjust to the stage 1 but it would be very lean. I don't go with this thinking myself.

Thx. I was actually thinking along those lines.
I talked the salesman into swapping my old pipes (trade in) with the stock pipes on the new bike.

When I asked him about a tuner he said he didn't see the need. As for warranty issues, he told me he would throw on a pair of stock pipes if the need ever arose. I think hes a pretty straight shooter so I should be covered in every way.

Thx again

Keep in mind that what a salesperson tells you and what actually will happen down the road are usually two different things. Quite often that salesperson may not be there any longer if you have a problem so don't put too much stock in what they tell you.

Back