free website stats program Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

cwcmdc05

I just bought a 2006 Heritage Softail and it needs tires. I was wondering what kind of tire is gonna give me the best life.

I was wondering what kind of tire is gonna give me the best life.

Who's life? Yours or the tire's. I would be more concerned on how well the tire grips the pavement and how well it rides over how long it will last.

Hoople----I am looking for the best tire to give me both. a good quality ride but at the same time will last. I dont want to get a tire that is lacking alot on either one of these sides.

I have asked several hard hitting questions to the tire reps at different bike shows. In all cases the bottom line was either long tread wear OR good grip. Everybody wants what you want. But it's easier said than done. My personal choice was to give up longer tire life for better grip in the WET. Grip in the Wet for me is #1 since it rains almost every day during the summer.

I could not care less if I got only get 7K miles on a rear tire....as long as it grips in the wet. But if you live in EL Paso Texas where you have 4" of rainfall a year,, that is a different story. See where I am going.

The factory Dunlops were Fine in the Dry. But in the wet, it felt like I was on ice. I was glad to see them go.

Who's life? Yours or the tire's. I would be more concerned on how well the tire grips the pavement and how well it rides over how long it will last.
:p I like the way you think! And I agree. Sticky, grippy tires don't seem to last as long as hard rubber tires which can be slippery. I'll take performance over longevity any day.

Just got back from getting a new rear Dunlop on my 07 FXDB, good grip once again could have maybe squeezed out a few more miles@12,250 but its raining a lot :)

I have asked several hard hitting questions to the tire reps at different bike shows. In all cases the bottom line was either long tread wear OR good grip. Everybody wants what you want. But it's easier said than done. My personal choice was to give up longer tire life for better grip in the WET. Grip in the Wet for me is #1 since it rains almost every day during the summer.

I could not care less if I got only get 7K miles on a rear tire....as long as it grips in the wet. But if you live in EL Paso Texas where you have 4" of rainfall a year,, that is a different story. See where I am going.

The factory Dunlops were Fine in the Dry. But in the wet, it felt like I was on ice. I was glad to see them go.
So Hoople, which tire did you opt for.....grip is all. Not interested in how long they last

Because of tire size and load rating I went with the Metzeler 880 Marathon running 44 PSI front and 46 PSI rear,, Cold.

From what I found, the Pirelli Dragon's actually grip even better than the tires I selected due to the silica content being higher.

There were other Brand tires in my choice but I Needed a rear tire that had a load rating number of 79 (963 lbs) because my 2 up passenger has a little "junk in Her trunk". There were not too many that had the silica content plus the load capacity I was looking for.

But so far I really enjoy there tires. But I also don't expect high mileage from them.

So exactly how does a guy give someone a Stair-Master or Life-Cycle as a Gift?

Because of tire size and load rating I went with the Metzeler 880 Marathon running 44 PSI front and 46 PSI rear,, Cold.

From what I found, the Pirelli Dragon's actually grip even better than the tires I selected due to the silica content being higher.

There were other Brand tires in my choice but I Needed a rear tire that had a load rating number of 79 (963 lbs) because my 2 up passenger has a little "junk in Her trunk". There were not too many that had the silica content plus the load capacity I was looking for.

But so far I really enjoy there tires. But I also don't expect high mileage from them.

So exactly how does a guy give someone a Stair-Master or Life-Cycle as a Gift?

You did not say that did you? One more reason I ride my Streetbob Solo LOL:p

Back