free website stats program Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires

craigc

Hello everyone. Its time to puchase a rear tire for my 50 Road King. What is everybody running now. Is Dunlap still the best tire for Harley?

I am running Avon Venom X front and rear on my RG. The Avons are tour load rated, and seem to be stickier than the Dunlops. They just feel better in the tight curves than Dunlops to me. I have heard that you will get more miles on Dunlops though.

The Avon's I have on my 07 RK have been great. The rear tire has 16,000 miles on it, and it is at 2mm, and if I wasn't going on a long trip, I would run it down to 1mm. The front tire, I just changed, and it had 21K on it. I highly recommend Avon's because of the load rating, and they are very good in the rain.

Thorns

Generally, MOCO has been very diligent about tire size, compound and optimum selection for given model and tire size. Stick with Dunlop and you won't go wrong, go no more larger than one tire size to minimize handling and contact patch/profile issues. And since you have spokes, use an inner tube with proper tire model/style i.e. if D204 stick with same p/n to make sure minimum mfg'r requirements are met.

Last edited:
I have a 150mm Avon on the back of my 07 RK with no problems. Be careful though, Avon has a 157mm tire also, and I think this is too wide and will rub.

Thorns

After two sets of Metzlers with both sets having cupping issues, I went back to Dunlops. Cost is similar for either. The Metzlers seemed a little stickier and wobble on bridges. I have thought about Michelins and may well try them the next set. I think it's much like color of the bike. It's your money and your choice.

Ride safe

Bubba

I have thought about Michelins. I love them on my truck. I just wonder if they are good on motorcycles. Might try them anyway.
Thanx again for the input

Back