free website stats program Tires - studied so much im brain dead | Harley Davidson Forums

Tires - studied so much im brain dead

Amish Hawg

Contributor
Metzler, Dunlop, Michelin, Vee, Bridgestone, Avon:
Ive tried reading all the old posts and doing my homework. I guess its all a matter of what you feel at the moment.

After all the work recently on the RKC, I also see that its time for a rear tire. It is the Dunlop 402, but I only got 4500 miles off it. Maybe a bad batch? Just one of those things? Such is life. The front is great.

My question is - What is the better Dunlop above the 402? Never delt with Metzler, but read good and bad. The Commander II - I read 15k miles on it, but no WWW's ( Wide White Walls). I wont touch Vee's. I havent seen any recent discussions, so maybe there is something new out there that ya'll can point me in a direction? I've always just thrown Dunlops on there and didnt give it much thought. This last one made me start looking

Mostly 1 up, occasionsal 2up. Mostly Highway

I got 11,000 mi. on my first rear 402, tried a Metzler 880 and liked it but picked up a screw in the fist K and when I changed it , noticed that it wasn't wearing real good, developed a flat spot like low air pressure but I check it all the time. So I went back to the 402 and like it still. Now I have 21,000 on the bike and time for a new one so 10,000 per tire I don't think is too bad. The front one is just coming to the wear marks so it is getting replaced too with a 402.

I've got Michelin commander IIs on for the last 12,000 miles and love them I will get 20,000 easy on the rear and way more on the front. True no WWW but so much easier to keep clean.

Run your 402's at 41lbs front and rear, they are a good tire at a good price. Ck 'em out at Jake Wilson or Dennis Kirk

I changed from the 402 to The Elite 3 had to do some tire size comparison as there was not showing a direct replacement for my 07 electra glide. the actual overall size difference was couple tenths of inch load range for elite was also a bit higher than 402. I like the Elite much better for its handling seems to me much smoother cornering. I had 3 rear 402 that usually got 7500-8000 between changes. the front was changed at 2nd rear tire change.I put a little over 10000 on 1st Elite 3, 2nd one has around 5k now & still have lots to go, I put an Elite on front when I first went to elite to keep tire same there was a significant difference in the tire profile that I did not want a problem using 2 different types. I have had a couple other riding friends change from the 402 to elites and they have been happy also.Tire pressures are most important and your riding style is the next big deal when you start talking how many miles you get from a tire. Its important to not just judge tire replacement by mileage or tread depth as an over age tire regardless of tread depth is disaster waiting to happen.

Metzler, Dunlop, Michelin, Vee, Bridgestone, Avon: Ive tried reading all the old posts and doing my homework. I guess its all a matter of what you feel at the moment. . . . My question is - What is the better Dunlop above the 402? Never delt with Metzler, but read good and bad.

My girlfriend really liked it when I changed the rear to a Metzeler, said it was much more comfortable. I got about 10,000 miles with the stock Dunlop and over 12,000 with the Metzeler. The Metzeler handled better. When I went to the tire store and saw all my choices, the Metzeler just looked better than the rest.

:44:

Stock rear tire new rk 1500 mi hit something about 8mi from home ,didn't think a whole lot about it,about 6mi from home it felt a little slack making a lift turn.When got home the tire looked fine so I went in the house.The next day I checked the presure it was 0,when I put air in it came out as fast as I put it in.When I took the tire off the rim the cut was one and a quarter inch clear through.That tire had to deflate instantly but it didn't break loose from the rim and stood up for several miles and a few turnes.I didn't buy the new tire from the dealer but bought the same kind.I'm glad that I saw your post because I now have between 13 and14 thousand on that one and haven't checked it lately,need to do that today.The Dunlop ,I would say is a good tire.

If anyone tells you they got better mileage of something different than stack...IE 5,000 versus 12,000...ask them what the front tire was at when replaced, or if it was as bald....I'd bet it lasted ALOT LONGER...more than twice as many miles, due to the rider always using his back brake.

If anyone tells you they had a smoother ride after changing tires???? I went with Dunlops when I changed (went with stock) and had a smoother better ride....Duh, old tires versus new....

I also got 12k on the rear and 14k on the front, and I ride hard.

I switched to Metzlers and the ride was better, plus I was tire of the Dunlops cupping and cracking

Back