Tire Valve Stem Alternatives

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Emu1400, Dec 8, 2009.

  1. Emu1400

    Emu1400 Member

    The air valve on '09 28-spoke wheels seem to be a little difficult to get at ... almost impossible with some gas station air pump apparatus. I talked to my dealer and to Harley customer service (800 number). Customer Service told me the valve is rubber and can be moved from side to side. Personally I don't think that's a very good idea over the long haul given the number of times air pressure will be checked and adjusted. It's bound to affect the valve seal at some point. The fix should be quite simple ... A 90 degree bend valve stem. But the Harley dealer doesn't have any and the parts dept say they've never seen any. Metric shops carry them ... Had one installed on my last bike (Nomad) when replacing the OME tire. So my question would be ... Is the valve size standard throughout the industry? Would the wheel rim mounting holes for the valves be the same size regardless brand manufacturer? Would an air valve for a metric wheel rim fit a Harley wheel rim? ... Failing that ... would there be any aftermarket valves at any of the Harley custom shops to fit the bill?
  2. glider

    glider Veteran Member

    If you use the proper air chuck, it's not a problem to adjust air pressure in the tires regardless of the valve location.

  3. Breeze3at

    Breeze3at Well-Known Member

    Yes, standard size valve stem, metric or US. Any tire store, mcy. store should be able to do it. Don't get one too long, it will affect balance. I'd prefer to get a gauge that has the right bend, and find a station that has the chuck you need, and stay with the short straight one. You can buy a 12 volt compressor pretty cheap to use at home.
  4. Emu1400

    Emu1400 Member

    That would be true ... but my portable air compressor takes a minute or more to pump up the pressure depending on how much is needed. It is a screw on type. To hold pressure on an air chuck for that time would be a (EDITED). Besides, even screwing the compressor to the valve is hampered by the spokes. In short, in the long run, I think a 90 degree valve stem would cure the issues and make the valve accessible for just about any gas station air apparatus. And that on a long trip is a good thing.:D

    Language is not permitted on this forum.

    Please read and understand the info in this link...
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  5. Emu1400

    Emu1400 Member

    Thanks Breeze3at, that's what I wanted to know.
  6. gusotto

    gusotto Junior Member

    A 90 degree valve stem may have clearance problems.
    I don't have any problem on my '07 Ultra and I also have the front rotor covers so I have even less clearance.
  7. hoggy25

    hoggy25 Active Member

    I just bend it over like the customer service told you Emu1400. Glider I have a air chuck just like that and it's still a pain to do the new 09 and up wheels. Back is even harder unless bikes jacked up on lift. At least for me it is.
  8. biscuit

    biscuit Junior Member


    Correct me please if i'm wrong;but aren't you talking about TUBED stems?Don't the spoked rims carry tubes for tyre inflation?

    I know the "bent" type you're referring to,but those are fited to tubeless rims. I dont know of any tubes that have the elbow type of stem.

    My Deluxe has spoked rims and i've found i have to adopt a 'straight-on' approach to the valve stems:ie with the air gun or trigger inside the disc and near the axle.
  9. Grillfish

    Grillfish Junior Member

    I have an 09 RG with the cast "28 spoke" wheels. Yes it's hard, but for the front, it's not an issue. Front valve needs to be somewhat on the lower front so roll the bike around. For the rear, I roll the bike until the valve is on the bottom. I then go to the right side of the bike and I have to lay down, but it's do'able. The valve on the rear tire is on the right side of the wheel. Yes it's a pain, but rather use a 12 volt air compressor in my garage than trying to do this at a garage in a parking lot.

    I'm getting it down pat now as I check my air each Sunday, same with all my fluids (just a habbit I got into over the years of riding).

    Good luck!
  10. jvalny

    jvalny Member

    Go to a BMW shop, if you can find one,and they sell a 90 degree valve stem that you screw on, put your air in the tire, take off the valve stem and ride like you stole it.