free website stats program Tire Shortage | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Shortage

Mongo1958

I was in need of new tires. I'm going on an iron butt ride soon, my tires were a bit long in the tooth (they were old) and the tread was close to the tread markers. Rather than pushing the tires to the limit I opted for new tires.
The current tires are (were) Michelin Commander 2's and they have served me well. However, I wanted an American tire that has good performance and long life. I chose the American Elite. I've had them before and liked them.
The rear tire was in stock and I had it installed. The front tire was back ordered, not for a day or two but for a few weeks or more.
??????? Wait, what!!??
I went to two independent bike shops that week and a Harley dealer, all were out of stock with no known delivery time.
Dang!
Ok, the bike rides well with a mix brand of AE on the rear and a C2 on the front.
I asked for a new C2 for the front wheel. So yesterday I take the bike back to Bigfoot Cycle, as the tech was installing the tire I saw the tread pattern, hey that's not a C2. It was a Commander 3.
I have no experience with the C3.
I asked Katie what was going on. Katie and Andy are the owner operators of Bigfoot Cycle and great people to do business with.
I asked why a Commander 3 was being installed. Short answer, she couldn't find a C2. Turns out that there is a tire Shortage going on and I consider my self lucky that I got a set of tires at all, even though they are mixed brands.
On the way home I was rocking to the bike left and right and taking wide turns to scuff up the new tires. The bike rides well.
If you need tires, good luck.

Well hopefully the shortage will be sort lived (pun intended), since we appear to be turning the corner on the pandemic.
Back at the beginning of the year I was surprised there was a shortage of target rounds in various calibers. The sales guy at Field & Stream told me that there are only a very small handfull of ammunition production facilities and were shut down due to covid.

Well hopefully the shortage will be sort lived (pun intended), since we appear to be turning the corner on the pandemic.
Back at the beginning of the year I was surprised there was a shortage of target rounds in various calibers. The sales guy at Field & Stream told me that there are only a very small handfull of ammunition production facilities and were shut down due to covid.

Gator, I was raised on a small farm in Central California. Around 71 we were informed of a fuel shortage. Gasoline was 15 cents a gallon delivered. Remember how we could cruise around all night Friday for 5 dollars. But soon all tractor parts sky rocketed.
You couldn't get tractor parts. People went under.

Jump to 2020-21.
I was a landlord. Read as after 20 years I threw in the towel. This covid thing was awful if you went into the hospital as you can not have any visitors. Everything is more of a shortage than the 70's. Just recently I needed a stove and refrigerator. You can't get anything affordable. The stores have told me they don't know when any stock is coming. AC units and Heating units too. I don't know about any other states, but there is a huge labor shortage. My friend across the street said plywood is nearly 100 dollars now!!!!!!
Have not bought ammo yet but I won't be surprised.

Have a good one, John

It’s not just tyres.
There’s shortages with everything.
Try and buy a new car? Can’t. There’s shortages with components- tyres, electrical bits, mechanical parts etc.
Household goods- fridges, dryers, washing machines etc. More internal component shortages.
All sorts of Chinese made stuff. - clothes, electronics, knick-knacks, tools, footwear, yada,yada.
Make-up. Toilet paper. Hand sanitiser. Certain foodstuffs.
Took me a month to get new Iridium spark plugs for the Harley.

The only things I’ve noticed that aren’t in short supply are BILLS.

Looking at bikes,wanted to get Electra-glide standard,figured they'd be all over.Nope.What they have plenty of are the Specials.My salesman of 14 years,says they are mostly making Specials cuz that's what everybody wants.So everybody wants the 28 grand bikes and not the 18 grand bikes?

Back